There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, January 30, 2012

Linkee-poo for a gimped out Monday

Ken McConnell talks about using repetitive tasks to facilitate daydreaming. Using prayer beads can also induce the same state, it's a form of "waking" meditation (or, in the case of Ken's lawn mowing, "walking meditation").

Karl Schroeder talks about one of his day jobs (that is, being a futurist). Specifically in regard to future scenario planning and Shell Energy's "Scenarios to 2050". And then how that research should be applied. This is good for both the writer, and as an insight into the energy struggles we see all around us these days.

John Scalzi reminds us why print is called ephemera. I point this out one, because John is a Very Smart Fella/Gal™ and two, it's one of my obstacles on the next novel. I think when I decided on Bladesman I went into the project with the mindset that is wasn't going to mean much. With Post-Rapture Industries I'm reaching for the brass ring that Douglas Adams left for us. I've already accepted I can't do Douglas' humor (it is very much based on a "magical SF" premise I can't bring into my story). Now I just need to get my head around, "It'll be fun for me. Might make some friends laugh. That's good enough." Instead of the "ZOMG, best. novel. EVAR!"

Another article on the ocean acidification. But this time, we now can see the extent has gone beyond natural variability. Also note the paragraph that discusses plakton's need for calcium carbonate, which is directly assaulted by more acidic waters. Say, what happens when the plankton population crashes? (Pointed to by John)

Ferris Bueller gone commercial. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

No comments: