I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Linkee-poo, we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find

Where did they get all these alligators? Tobias Buckell is is publish his own "how to write" book. Although the kickstarter hasn't officially launched, yet (it should be live now). He tweets, "Over the last 15 years, I’ve been emailing out an unedited, bunged together version of this to people who ask me to email them ‘all the secrets’ to becoming a writer. After 10 years of being like ‘I should make this a book’ tomorrow I will begin that process!" Dude, seriously, I'm standing right here.

Transrealism. Huhn, I thought that was verisimilitude and "accessible" writing in SF/F? Although I have the feeling that this is more of a splitting hairs dialectic argument. Such as, "Yes this is (insert movement) / no that is way over the line and just your standard fantasy" mixed with a little sensawonder. (Grokked from Cat Rambo)

"To mark the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the world renowned Eastern Tomb at Knowth, (The Royal Irish Academy is) publishing free online its six books on Excavations at Knowth via the Digital Repository of Ireland." Bucket list item. (Grokked from Sarah Goslee)

"The (David) Collection of Islamic Art is by far the largest of its kind in Scandinavia and is among the ten most important in the Western world." Many high-resolution images included in that site. (Grokked from Dr Caitlin Green)

"A British woman was rescued Sunday after falling from a cruise ship and spending 10 hours in the Adriatic Sea at night, Croatia's coast guard said. The unidentified woman was taken to a hospital in the town of Pula and is out of danger."

"With shame and repentance, we acknowledge as an ecclesial community that we were not where we should have been, that we did not act in a timely manner, realizing the magnitude and the gravity of the damage done to so many lives. We showed no care for the little ones; we abandoned them."

"It took a jury less than four hours of deliberation to convict a Detroit-area man of sexually assaulting a sleeping passenger onboard a Spirit Airlines flight." Oh FFS. I don't agree with how we use the death penalty, but I make an exception for sexual assault.

"Faced with criticisms from President Donald Trump that Twitter is 'shadow banning' and silencing conservative voices, chief executive Jack Dorsey admitted that those who work for the social media giant have their own biases - and that they're 'more left-leaning.'" As someone who uses twitter, let me call BS on this "left-leaning" crap. Given my (granted) unscientific viewpoint, twitter tends to suspend and band more people fighting the fascists than actual fascists and those who preach violence and intolerance. And then just recently twitter announced they were going to "break" the "ideological echo chambers" by promoting "other voices." Let me just say, if they do that I'll drop twitter as fast as I've dropped facebook (where I only log on to wish people happy birthdays, congratulate them, and keep up with people at the hospital - workers at the hospital favor facebook by a wide margin). As for twitter "shadow banning" conservatives, let me call bs on that as well. Only if you view the president as a tool of the Russian oligarchy can you see any "shadow banning" going on. Dear Jack, I do occasionally do recreational troll slaying on your platform (although in the past year I've actually seen fewer who wish to try me), but those are people who either have found me or my friends. I don't go out of my way to find them (although I've debated those actions).

"The Russian military intelligence unit that sought to influence the 2016 election appears to have a new target: conservative American think tanks that have broken with President Trump and are seeking continued sanctions against Moscow, exposing oligarchs or pressing for human rights." Again, the Russians do not care for our internal politics (except to know how to exploit them), but are playing their own game where they are the beneficiary. It just happens that Trump and his supporters either are compromised and working for Russia, are doing it on their own cognizance, or who promote policies that the Russians think are best choice to weaken the West. Also, when did Microsoft get the job of "Internet Protector"? (Waves to my Russian friends)

No comments: