There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, July 23, 2012

Linkee-poo, bloodshot eyes are gone, tell me I'm wrong

Kameron Hurley builds a treadmill desk. To which I can only say, hmmmm.

The persistent myths about dinosaurs that just won't die. I remember telling my nephew that when I was his age, all the dinosaurs dragged their tails and were dumb lumbering beasts. He wasn't impressed with our scientific advancement. (Grokked from Tor.com)

Dr. Strangelove, or how I learned to love universal health care. A conservative moves to Canada. Strange what happens when ideology hits reality. At least for those willing to open their eyes. (Grokked from Morgan J. Locke)

Scientist take rat heart muscle tissue and grow it on a plastic form to create something that moves like a jellyfish. I'm still processing if I think this is a good thing or something we did because we could. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Why we would never repunish a victim because she spoke out about what happened to her. Especially if she speaks out about a sexual assault. Sigh. Remember when there were judges who thought that shaming criminals was a part of the punishment? I guess that's only good for litterers and misdemeanor crimes. Say, I've got an idea, how about we have these two boys listed as sexual predators? Nah, probably couldn't have that happen. (Grokked from Saladin Ahmed)

"Lawler’s choice of words to describe the two attitudes is interesting. It is self-indulgence to refuse to support a party that is genuinely guilty of corruption and incompetence, but it is doing one’s duty to lend grudging support to that party four years later despite the fact that this party has not meaningfully changed in the meantime? This doesn’t make sense." It's interesting to me to watch the moderate parts of the Republican Party finally realize the conclusions I came to back in 1990. If anything, it's something I can thank the Tea Party for. They have caused the ultra right conservatives to wonder just what the hell is going on here, and caused the moderates to rethink their party affiliation. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

So, just how much money do the super-rich hide from their taxmen? At least $21 trillion. "His study deals only with financial wealth deposited in bank and investment accounts, and not other assets such as property and yachts." (Pointed to by John)

"I really don’t think there’s been anything like this in American political history: a presidential campaign, with a pretty good chance of winning, that is based entirely on cynical lies about what the sitting president has said." (Grokked from Jay Lake)

"'I think we were just caught unprepared,' (Walter Jones, the University of Utah Library's assistant head of Special Collections - where the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic's Organizing Committee's record are held), said." You didn't see these requests coming? (Pointed to by Dan)

And the crazy train just keeps rolling. Although some more people are coming to their senses (save the storks? really?). Ah, well, good thing the rampant sexism isn't contained to just the US. Now women can be degraded in every country they're in. But, at least some companies understand how to treat all their customers (note, I remember a time when the little girl would have been sent a coupon that was only good for Barbie merchandise). (Grokked from the Slactivist)

Yep, crazy train. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

"Romney lies so often he seems almost bored with a run-of-the-mill one-level lie." I'd love to say Fred Clark is wrong about that, but I can't. I'm sure the apologists will say, "But Obama is doing it too with his Bain attacks," and you know what, those ads were changed to make the campaigns position more clear.

Tweet of my heart: @damiengwalter: When writers die and end up in hell, we get shown all the books we would have written if we hadn't been on Twitter.

Alligator Quotient: Spent the weekend with them. On a slight truce today until we all get enough caffeine in us.

No comments: