There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, July 2, 2012

Linkee-poo thinks that unless it's in a Newton, he doesn't want another fig

News is Anderson Cooper is out of the closet. My response is, "He was in? I didn't know that." Because, really, it just doesn't matter to me. He's a damn good reporter (not that I agree with him all the time, but I see he does his homework). And now that he's out he's still a damn good reporter. And like I said, I always just assumed he was gay and went on with my life. Of course, now we'll all hear "Anderson Cooper 360° reach around" jokes, but do we really have to go there?

Diana Peterfreund shares her process on how to handle and editorial letter.

Chuck Wendig with 25 things about writing sex. Which I wasn't really going to point to, but then I thought I was just being a prude, and after a three minute battle with myself I figured, "Aw, hell, it is kinda funny, and I should point to it for no other reason." Also, as is Chuck's wont, and with the subject, you should consider this NSFW (although it's just words).

Mary Robinette Kowal wants to remind you that outlines are just like first drafts, they're allowed to suck. And outline is just as editable as your manuscript. Mostly I have outlines to remind myself where I wanted to go, or to figure out how to get there. What I like about the Scrivener notecard feature is that sort of becomes my outline, but I can also add the things I think will happen in those sections (most recently I wrote a card about the sandwich board signs the fairies have at the Lake of Fire).

"Corporate profits just hit an all-time high, wages just hit an all-time low." With charts to prove the point. Still think the system is fair? And while there were trends before 1980, the numbers start to go awry in a major way around that point, with an acceleration in the early 2000s. Gee, I wonder what happened then? (Grokked from the Slactivist)

"Potter didn’t have to see that future (of The Hunger Games) on the screen. He’d already seen it in Virginia, where doctors cared for Americans in animal stalls." It's strange what happens to people when the scales finally fall from their eyes and they have experiences outside themselves. In this case, he saw a free temporary health care clinic in operation. I remember an argument I had online with someone who talked about how we didn't have hunger in this country. I had to explain to other people who were incredulous that it's easy to ignore hunger in the US because we don't have villages filled with kids suffering from Kwashiorkor and Marasmus. That doesn't mean they aren't out there, it's just that the incidence is distributed, and typically the state steps in before conditions get too far (with foster care and/or free food in the form of food stamps and food pantries). Take away those social mechanisms, and we would have that here as well. The economic conditions are here, it's just that we catch people before they fall too far (usually). It's not the same with health care. We have social mechanisms to help, but sometimes they don't get there in time. But with the new Farm Bill maybe we will make food disparity just like health care disparity is now? (Grokked from Jay Lake)

And then you have legions of the newly homeless. In case you ever wonder why I get so impassioned about politics, this is my, "but for the grace of God" issue (and deepest fear, not about living homeless, but losing everything I've worked to gain - and here I mean status, security, and comfort). (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Tweet of my heart: @BilgeEbiri: Dear Syria, do not mess with Turkey. We have an ENTIRE CITY named Batman.

Alligator Quotient: Keeping them busy, hoping they won't notice me.

No comments: