I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, August 13, 2012

Linkee-poo, but remember I'm still a guy

Natalie Parker on whether an author, particularly YA author, should post their political views. As you may know, I'm fairly political and mostly progressive in my views and I'm not shy about it. I would be lying, however, if I didn't have those moments in the dark wondering if I should be so open as I search for both an agent and an audience. Especially since I've been told more than once that had the powers that be known I was such a liberal, I would never have been hired for a position (twice directly, and three times implied if you must know). (Grokked from Rae Carson)

Hypercard is now 25 years old. Sigh. For the old man programmer in all of us. (Pointed to by Dan)

Ever wonder what it looks like where HP builds your laptop? Well someone's machine shipped with 3 minutes of video from inside the factory. (Pointed to by John)

Like the Mars Rover Curiosity? Want to build a Lego kit of it? You might want to see this. (Pointed to by Dan)

On the pervasiveness of advertising in the public space and some of the tricks they use (such as smell). Also note the last line, "It's like scarecrows that need changing frequently as crows get used to them." This is why advertisers try new things all the time and why you'll see more advertisements in places you never thought you'd see them. (Grokked from Matt Staggs)

How the religious nutbags stole my party. Welcome to the party, friend. Sorry it took you so long to realize it. A long but pretty interesting article that lays out the concepts of how the Republican Party, interested in power only, sold out to social conservatives who don't really care about fiscal sanity (or sanity in any right). Also touches on folding Ayn Rand philosophies in with the religious (which should be in opposition), and the final part of the religious telling their adapts to keep their traps shut until they're in power. Can you say "Manchurian Candidate"? I knew you could. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

The Michigan anti-abortion bill that was being debated when the word "vagina" crept in has been passed and is on its way to the Senate. If it weren't for the fact that after these bills are struck down in court they often return in more insidious forms I would think that these lawmakers were acting cynically by designing a "tough law" that would be destined to an overturning my the courts. (Grokked from Saladin Ahmed)

"If you are against deficits in an economic downturn and during a Democratic administration, but voted for all the measures that ran up the deficit under Bush and erased Clinton’s budget surplus, you might be Paul Ryan." Juan Cole plays the "You may be Paul Ryan if…" game. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Alligator Quotient: They seem to have called in sick.

No comments: