I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Linkee-poo reminds you there's only 10 days left to redeem those bottles for cash

Paul Krugman pretty well nails it. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Jim Hines is giving away a copy of the Snow Queen's Shadow. You know you want it.

This is part of what I talk about when I discuss point source generation. A local company, Lincoln Electric, is installing a 2.5megawatt wind turbine to supply electricity to their factory. While it won't delivery all of the energy the factory needs (Lincoln Electric is a welding supply company, one of the last), but it'll put a big dent in their draw off the grid. For the time being, such a variable draw will be difficult for power companies to manage, but as these installations grow in number, there will be a tipping point where it becomes very easy. However, power companies will fight this tooth and nail because it means lower revenues (transmission fees, mostly). Expect some great hyperbole soon (after all, the electric chair was a demonstration by Edison about how dangerous Tesla's alternating current was as compared to his direct current applications). (Pointed to by Dan)

I was going to make mention of this, it being only 10 days away now, but Jay Lake pointed to a great article on The End Is Nigh! Strangely enough, May 21 is also Village Cleanup Day. The jokes almost write themselves, don't they. Unfortunately, the rest of us have to live in reality, and we'll have to clean up the mess these people are reeking. I doubt the couple that have planned to run out of money on the 21 are the only ones doing that. Also expect some people to be very distraught when the Rapture doesn't happen that they make do something rash (as in more than "join a different church"), or like that one person who believes that if they wake up on the 22nd, they'll be in Hell. That won't be a pleasant Sunday Morning in church, I'll tell you. Of course, Harold Camping will pull out another, "I didn't factor this in. New Date everybody!" Like he did in 94. Plus, Harold is 89, he doesn't have that much longer to be with us. Also, IMHO, he's a real ass (having listened to him on the radio, he's the one preacher I said I listen to on late night drives to keep myself awake because he makes me angry).

Speaking of jokes that write themselves (and the End of the World), the Call of Cthulhu, for your smart phone. And, look! Shoggoth zombies! (I did a thing like them in my story, "War Stories") Although, probably not shoggoth zombies in the reals, because shoggoths work for the other side (the Old Ones, not our side either). (Grokked from Chia Lynn, who also points to this shirt I need but they don't have my size)

Goose, meet Gander.

No comments: