There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Linkee-poo after taxes

M.K. Hobson on publishing and permission and outlining the fear that assails me all the time. I'm very money focused. Right now I consider the writing an expensive hobby. And as such, I know there are times I could dedicate to writing, but because I haven't actually been published, yet, my brain equates "no money = not important". So that's an extra hurdle I need to get over. I know once I see money coming in, that barrier will drop (the same thing happened with design freelance - which is why i have two "free" design projects that I haven't even started on). However I do know that not writing will never get me to the point of making money with it. And, yes, I know the money in publishing isn't great (especially in genre), but even a little makes a big difference (in my head). (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Nic Alderton on how to write a novel. And how to write a great novel. Yep, that's pretty much it. (Grokked from Joe Hill)

Jennifer Cruise on the writer's trick of changing POV from first to third and back again. I've only done that for small bits of text to figure out how they're not working (or could work better). If I had to do that with a whole novel, I think I'd go insane. For me, the choice of POV is very intimate with the story. Trying to write the story in the wrong POV would be excruciating.

Shelf-Conscious. On the history of shelves, publishing, and our personal relationship with books. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

There's so many things I could say about this. It seem strange that even at this late date there are still people who believe the this Protocol of the Elders crap. Or that more people really ought to learn Wheaton's Law. Or the fact that Neil Gaiman is a class act (and one of the reasons why we love his stuff). (Grokked from so many people I felt I needed to link to it myself)

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab gets life in prison. And that sound you hear from the GOP is crickets. Look, it's another proof that our civilian courts are very capable to handle terrorism cases. You know, like everyone who isn't trying to keep you scared to get your vote has already said. Terrorism is a war of perception. Treat them specially with military courts and trials and you give them legitimacy and power. Try them in civilian courts and you send the message that 1) our democracy is strong and 2) you're just common criminals, nothing special. Oh, and did I forget to mention that his case pretty much shows that Anwar al-Aulaqi was a legitimate target.

Another proof that social conservatives aren't really conservatives at all. An AF procurement program had the motto (in latin) of "Doing God's Work With Other People's Money." Well, it sounds better in latin. Apparently someone pointed out this Constitutionally questionable motto and the department changed it to "Doing Miracles With Other People's Money." A "conservative" representative is incredibly upset about this removal of God from the public sphere, but not so upset about the "spending other people's money" part. You will know the true measure of people by their actions, not their words. (Grokked from Sheila)

Why patriarchal men are utterly petrified of birth control. While I disagree with some of the history and sexual politics in the article, yeah, pretty much that. As I've said before, the anti-abortion movement isn't about abortion, it's about feminism. (Grokked from Rae Carson)

Just when you though that after the GW Bush administrations assault on science was ended, here rise the anti-science lobbyists. This is one of the things that worries me the most about another conservative presidency (and all the candidates of the GOP have bought on to the anti-science movement), that within my lifetime we will have gone from landing on the moon to rejecting overwhelming scientific evidence and pillorying those who try to tell us the truth. (Grokked from Chuck Wendig)

Santorum's gospel of inequality. And people sometimes wonder when I say that listening to the GOP primary debates and speeches, I am left wondering what reality these people live in. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

No comments: