I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, October 3, 2016

Linkee-poo, they say I got a lot of water in my brain, I got no common sense, I got nobody left to believe

How not to write women. (Grokked from Jason Sanford)

More on the automation of the food service sector. Zume Pizza, have robot, will deliver (hot and fresh, they cook it on the way). I wonder if they've figured out the delivery time issue, or just solved for other non-problems? It may be where I live, but I haven't ordered a pizza delivery since I was in college. I order pizzas, but I pick them up.

The White Helmets of Allepo.

Trigger warning. Okay, screw it, let's talk about suicidal ideation. Just because you have thoughts about suicide doesn't mean you need to act on those thoughts. (Grokked from John Scalzi)

No, those brain games probably aren't helping you. Something I experienced on my own. I tried Luminosity and quickly hit the wall. After a year of playing, I don't think it even helped me calm down (how I normally use video games).

Apparently we're going to be discussing trigger warnings. There's a DailyMail article that calls academic trigger warnings silly and an attempt to coddle the kiddies. Fuck you, DailyMail. "Former Government adviser Chris McGovern, chairman of the Campaign For Real Education, said: 'This is, in a sense, health and safety going mad again. We are back to an overprotective nanny state… If you sign up for a course on the archaeology of battlefields or the poems of Ovid, you should know what you are going to get.'" I'm going to out on a limb and speculate that Chris McGovern has never experienced trauma (although I'm sure they'd disagree). I know it's all "stiff upper lip, old chum" and all, but let me call you out for some egregious bullshittery there. First of all, if we knew what to expect and knew the material, would we be taking the class? No, that's why we take the class, to find out and get a guided journey into the subject matter. Most people have never seen what violence humans can do to each other, and out media (including splatter-gore films) does a poor job of preparing us for it, because it really is quite horrific. Some people have history with subjects, and confronting those people with some subjects can be traumatizing and "trigger" PTSD (or PTSD-like) episodes. If they have a heads up, they can steel themselves and make it through. The trigger warning I put earlier in this post was there for a specific reason and I have at least one person in mind when I typed it out. And I added it because I don't want to cause them harm (it's also why I try to give you some description of what I'm linking to). (Grokked from Jason Sanford)

My second job has a ghoulish part to it (and some of the older techs will talk about "interesting" injuries), but it's never good when a student has their first experience, especially when it involves broken skin and blood. Will you get better at it? Yes, most people will. And as a "seasoned" tech I choose what to expose students to and I prepare them before we enter the room. Also, I've seen people pretty well broken into pieces, I've seen chainsaw wounds (I just x-rayed another one this weekend), I've x-rayed people who are dead (but their bodies haven't given up), I've seen explosion and gunshot wounds, I've seen suicides. But the x-ray that affected me most (I didn't take it) was a completely severed l-spine. I can still picture it in my head. I hope to never have to take that image.

The controversy surrounding doll therapy as a treatment option for dementia (especially Alzheimers). I agree with some of the critics about how society may treat seniors with dolls, but I disagree with where they put the focus. The problem isn't with seniors who may have some benefit from doll therapy, but with society for thinking less of those seniors because "they play with children's toys." I've dealt with way too many seniors who are not happy, who have made comments about wanting to just die (in a literal sense), and who have difficulty communicating or are very confused about what is happening. If dolls can help some of them have some quality of life, that sparks positive emotions and releases beneficial hormones, fuck all if they can't have that in their twighlight years.

"House Science Committee Chair Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) has taken his climate change denialism crusade to the Securities and Exchange Commission… Smith sent a letter to the SEC on Thursday expressing concern that the commission's probe (into Exxon) 'advances a prescriptive climate change orthodoxy that may chill further climate change research.'" Because the Trumpster isn't the only abusive personality in the GOP crowd.

Looking back at Studs Terkel's Working with his taped interviews and where those people are now (or later in life).

"An Arkansas State representative who helped pass a state law protecting people who film police was arrested Monday while filming Little Rock police as they put a black man in handcuffs after a traffic stop." Wow, that's like recursive irony. Also, kinda stupid on the part of the police. Of course they can always come up with another charge like loitering or something like that. (Grokked from Xeni Jardin)

Aaannnnd he's outa here. "Saying that Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore violated judicial ethics when he ordered judges not to respect the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark ruling on same-sex marriage, Alabama's Court of the Judiciary suspended Moore for the rest of his term in office."

"It's still not clear how (US Office of Personnel Management) got hacked, but signs point to a failure at one of its contractors, Keypoint Government Solutions, who appear to have lost control of their logins/passwords for sensitive OPM services… In the wake of the hacks, the job of giving out security clearances has been given to a new government agency, the National Background Investigations Bureau… NBIB is about to get started, and they've announced that they're contracting out significant operations to Keypoint. Neither Keypoint nor the NBIB would comment on this arrangement." You spin me right around, baby, right around.

OMG, creeping Sharia. Wait, no, that's just the Supreme Court Justices who are Jewish not sitting in court during Rosh Hashanah. (Noted not as a criticism of the judges but as an example of how Religious Law has always been integrated into US life, and how the critics of Sharia Law "coming to the US" are a bunch of idiots.)

"Privately, Republican congressional staff told The Daily Beast that Trump and his aides’ connections to Russian officials and businesses interests haven’t gone unnoticed and are concerning… But the lawmakers in both chambers have declined to sign on to them. Republicans have no appetite to launch inquiries into their party’s presidential nominee, and they continue to believe the FBI flubbed its investigation into Clinton and her aides, who should have been charged with mishandling government secrets, the staffers said." (Grokked from Chuck Wendig)

"Amidst sensational headlines of leaked tax returns and audio, a low-key analysis by The Daily Beast largely avoided the spotlight. A careful review of Eric Trump’s charity revealed the eponymous foundation spent large sums of money at fundraising events on Donald Trump’s golf courses…" Anyone seeing a trend? (Grokked from Dan)

"In his years as a reality TV boss on "The Apprentice," Donald Trump repeatedly demeaned women with sexist language, according to show insiders who said he rated female contestants by the size of their breasts and talked about which ones he'd like to have sex with." Yeah, I don't think it'll affect his base either.

No comments: