There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Accidental Incidental Poetry

As I told Camille, in some comment thread, there is poetry. Oh yes, there is always poetry.

All around hoopy frood Mer Haskell let loose with some writing podcasts today (and then talks about how she has another story published, down at the bottom of the entry, oh, to be so easy about it - you should go tell her how wonderful it is). While subscribing to the podcast she lists, iTunes offers other suggestions which look okay. So one is a general "literary" writing post where the last episode (which downloaded automatically) had people who won in a contest reading their stories. And that's when the poetry leaks out of my ears.

See the story drip with forced meaning and portent
Revel in the narcissistic nihilism
The all too earnest need to be liked and fondled
Sweat of youthful naivety
Runs down their unscarred back and minds
Fearing the whip of rejection will lash soon

I am the critic in the gingerbread house
With windows of clear sugar
Listening to the nibble, nibble, gnaw
Of keyboard keys and laser printers
My oven has been witch-proofed
To keep young mice from tossing me in

Who (corrected to whom) is that I hear
Nibble, nibble, gnawing on my roof
Come closer my dear
It has been so long since I've torn
Doughy flesh from cracker bones.

So there it is, draft zero of the poem. And how I felt at the end of the podcast. I will download at least another episode and see if I have the same reaction. I'll repeat, this was a different podcast from the ones that Mer recommends. The ones she does link to, I've listened to two episodes and they're very good.

No comments: