I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bad Flash, no Cookie

Fab-dad and techno-wizard Dan sends me word about how Flash has cookies. Here's the /. article. And here's a control panel to adjust security settings.

So, Macromedia, just WTF is Flash doing being able to access my built-in camera and microphone without asking me? Why do you need your own cookie file that really isn't accessible through the software? Are you really ignorant about the security and privacy concerns this "functionality" endangers?

For too long corporations have felt they have a freedom to run over their customer's rights and then only have to present a mea culpa for redemption. Much of modern internet functions rely on the use of Flash technology, so dumping the code isn't an option. Hauling the programmers and executives out into the streets to tar and feather them (not verbally, I mean real boiling tar and chicken feathers) should be the remedy. It's far better than the treatment they would have received just 200 years ago and we would only need to do it a few times before the situation rectifies itself.

Don't like that idea, Mr. Big Business Suit? The other option is to impose actual fines that would cripple your business and help the deficit. Say 50% of revenues (not profits, gross revenues). That should do it. Tar and feathering of a few key executives doesn't sound so bad anymore, does it? And yes, your violation of my privacy does rise to the level of your company being put out of business.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I'll see what I can do about getting this changed, right after I'm finished modifying the weather.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks Rick. I'll sleep more comfortable tonight knowing you're on it. And hey, the weather is changing. Highs today are supposed to be around 78, tomorrow is 58, so I think that's all cleared up for a few weeks.