I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you

Well, since it hasn't been made a big deal of it, I'll point it out. It's Banned Books Week. Go out and read a good book, one that challenges some parts of society.

It's not something we hear about these days, but the push to ban books form libraries and books stores still continues apace. What seems most strange to me is that typically it's a challenge form the conservative side of the demographic, the same side that believes in market forces. If a book says something you don't agree with or find objectionable, don't buy it (which leads to another conversation about soft banning of books where libraries, bookstores, and distributors don't purchase books for distribution because of their content, without having a challenge being made). Don't want to read it at your library, don't check it out. Market forces, sometimes they work.

Which then leads to The Da Vinci Code. A book so wildly disapproved of and condemned that it sold something close to a gazillon copies world wide. Same with the Harry Potter and the (insert plot device here), and The Satanic Verses. All were railed against vociferously, death threats posed, boycotts formed, and spittle-flinging anti-book people getting screen time on national (and international) TV. All of which helped make these books the runaway successes they all were.

Looking over the list of most challenged books in 2007 (there a list on the website linked above), the most common reason cited for banning is still "homosexuality" and "sexually explicit." Good thing to know we've all were aware, listened and learned during the 70s and 80s and were able to get past our irrational fear of sex. Or not.

So, go out, find a good book, and read. Read in public if you're daring. Read one of these challenged books in public. And if someone challenges you tell them to get their damn dirty ape's stinking paws off your mind.

2 comments:

vince said...

And what a great reference to a Blue Oyster Cult song.

As I told one person who asked how I could approve of some of those books - "I don't approve of all of the books; I approve of the right of all of the books to be written and to be read."

I think I got a "harumph" out of that response.

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Vince, glad you like it. Using rock lyrics as titles is an old habit of mine. And I like that answer. I'll have to remember it.

I also get the "harumph" answer ("I didn't get a harumph out of that guy") when people realize I have a firm position, one that's well thought out, and one they don't have the ability to change.