I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, October 4, 2008

My future is so bright, I gotta wear shades

We now interrupt this blog for this important message.

This afternoon at 3:55pm I was waylaid on my journey to a panel to discuss "Why didn't I think of that? Where authors get their ideas," and was thunderstruck. I was told I could now announce it publicly, I am (going to be) a published author.

And the villagers rejoice (pictures to follow).

OMG! OMG! OMG! For a year that I haven't produced many new words, this is sure my year for writing. Writetober is full of awesome.

Okay, some of you know this story, and some of it has leaked out here and there, but I didn't explain what I was talking about. Way back in July, William Jones invited me to submit to an anthology of near future Cthulhu stories (second very cool thing this year, after being invited as a panelist, but I didn't feel I could announce it here just then) (cool cover art here). You may remember me talking about rewriting War Stories back in August. That was related to this. William sent back good words to begin with, which had me doing the geek victory dance, but in private (I'm dancing on the inside). He told me today that I can announce that he's buying my story and he'll send me edits when he can.

Hurray! I'm so psyched I'm blogging during my friends' panel, which I should go back to paying attention.

For the past three months I've been thinking about how to write this post, and this is nothing like anything I had in mind. I had six different music quotes I was going to use as the title, and I can't think of a single one now (remembered one). I thought of how I wanted to introduce the text, which I can't remember. Sorry, I was going to be much funnier, looking toward the future, lay out the whole "it's the first step on my uber-plan to conquer the universe," plan, etc. But I'm flying high right now.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

ia ia ia!

That is fabulous news - and makes me wonder, just what have you been sacrificing to the elder gods to make this particular writing project successful? ;)

vince said...

Congrats, man. That is wonderful!

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

congratulations. I look forward to reading your work. And now that I like you, I have to hurt you. It's an illness I have.

Ken McConnell said...

Congrats Steve! Yeah, I can't wait to read your work!

Dan Berlyoung said...

Congrats!

Now, is this the time for the little octopuses to come out of the sea and eat your spleen? (Spoken like a true person who has never read a single Lovecraft novel.)

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks everybody.

Jeri, well, there was my comment on the Ideas Panel about dancing naked in the moonlight covered in chicken blood and feathers. I was shocked that no other writers share this ritual.

Vince, I love Pinky and the Brain. Narf! (insert giggle)

Stewart, I like you as well. Now we must fight each other in some strange Enemy at the Gates way. It's a tragedy, but it must be done.

Ken, it'll be coming out soon, so you won't have to wait too long (like early next year, next year, I understand, will be the Year of Cthulhu in the Chinese Astrological Calendar).

Hey Dan. I can't believe that you haven't ready any of his stories. Good thing we have that whole computer geek thing going for us then. :) I thought we went through the whole plush Cthulhu thing.

Jim C. Hines said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations, Steve!

And hey, why didn't you mention this yesterday so I could have congratulated you in person? :-P

Nathan said...

Congrats. World conquest and domination can't be too far off!

Steve Buchheit said...

Jim, thanks. And sorry, I thought I had told you. I was practically bouncing off the walls and behaving like the old man talking to his doctor about sleeping with two beautiful gymnasts.

"So, what's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong."

"Then why tell me?" says the doctor.

"I'm telling everybody," says the old man.

Nathan, thanks. My plan is coming together faster than Jim Wright's plan. bwahahaha Soon I shall be invincible.

mattw said...

Congratulations! That's great.

Color me jealous.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mr. Buchheit!

Starbuck O'Shea said...

Steve! You didn't tell me either, so Jim and I are in the same spot.

This is so awesome. And you poor man, I might be the one to crush your dreams before Stewart does... I work for William too.

CONGRATS!!!!

ASZ*---

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks Matt, that's actually what I'm going for. It's practice for my 25th High School reunion. It takes me too long to have people become jealous. I need to get that time down to 5 minutes.

Camille. Thanks ::sparkles:: One of these days I'll get you to call me Steve. :)

Starbuck, thanks. Like I said, I thought my screaming "OMG!" was heard all over the hotel. I think the TSA at the airport was mobilized to find the source of the sound. As for the crushing of dreams, that seems to be a common thread in that group. I knew there was a reason I liked you all. :)

Starbuck O'Shea said...

Now we know why the lights went out Sunday at the hotel. ;] Aftershock.

ASZ*---



Sotto voce: Jim, I think Steve didn't tell us... so we all buy him drinks at the next con. :D

Anonymous said...

Whooo Hooo!!! High fives and knuckle bumps! Pop the corks and let's get ... tipsy. [Remember youngsters, celebrate responsibly.]

Good for you Steve!

Steve Buchheit said...

Starbuck, well sure. It's always about getting more drinks. :)

Todd, woohoo! ::bumps right back:: Uh oh. That means we'll be targeted by the TSA. Good thing you're back from the West Coast. I'll be popping the cork with my writers group (it's the thing). And yes, all the kiddies should party responsibly. However I'm an adult, irresponsible partying is the name of the game. Or something like that.

Anonymous said...

One of these days I'll get you to call me Steve.

Steve! Way to go! woo hoo!

Is that better?

(You do realize it's a form of affection?)

Steve Buchheit said...

Camille, yes I know you've been using it as a form of familiarity and type it while smiling. I have to be Mr. Buchheit way too many times in a day for my inner 18-year old to be comfortable with.

Anonymous said...

One more congrats! from the I'm-oh-so-late-to-the-party corner. Good job!

Steve Buchheit said...

Matt, no worries. I understand catching up with the blogeroll.