There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Line of the Dead

Well, today is the drop dead posting date for Pointwriters and I've managed to get 14,827 words done by now. That puts me midway through the seventh chapter. Far short of the goal. Sigh.

The good news is that I'm really liking this story. Some of the writing is the snappiest I've ever done on a first draft (or draft zero). And I'm sharing this work far earlier in the process than I've ever shared any other piece, even with my first reader (my wife in case you were wondering).

What have I learned? Well, the world changes when you're not expecting it, which I really knew a long time ago but had high hopes (I still do) that things would get better soon rather than later. Writing can be done in short bursts. Leaving off the text when you're in the middle of the action actually works to get you restarted the next writing session. Balancing home life and writing is getting more difficult.

Well, I've submitted for most of the positions I've seen open (some of them are very surprising). There's only a few second choice prospects that I need to submit, but then tomorrow is Thursday. Postings tend to follow the old newspaper schedule so maybe there will be new ones tomorrow.

Now it's time to go to bed before these black circles around my eyes start looking like make-up. When I was younger I never did have black circles around my eyes, no matter how tired I drove myself to. They still aren't all that noticeable, although they're getting there fast.

No comments: