I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, April 6, 2009

Like endless rain into a paper cup

Learning a language changes the structure of humans' brains. Learning an abstract symbolic language (such as a written language which uses a phonetic alphabet) dynamically restructures the brain. It's been a fun thing for me to say all these years. Ever since I learned about brain differences between literate, functionally illiterate, and fully illiterate people, and those who have only a symbolic language compared to those who use abstract symbolism in graphic design (and see, you just thought we all made pretty pictures) and to understand what this allows us (as designers) to get away with.

Such as, did you know that once you learn how to read, you don't read the letters, you read groups of words - unless the shapes of the words are unfamiliar, then you fall back to reading letters - this is why packaging switches from the word "New" (which is a commodity packaging regulated word, something that is 8 months old can't be labeled "New") to the word "Now" - in your brain you can confuse the two, especially when it's a quick glance. Such as browsing shelves with lots of products.

Then there is the common folk knowledge that knowing more than one language opens up a whole new world of opportunity and consciousness. Well, now there's proof of that.

Here's an NPR story about it. The research shows that your language does adjust your perception of the world around you. That other languages assign nouns gender (and in some ways English does the same thing, it's just not as overt as other languages which use gender specific articles) changes the speakers perception of the world.

4 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

did you know that once you learn how to read, you don't read the letters, you read groups of words - unless the shapes of the words are unfamiliar, then you fall back to reading letters

I've always done that I think--I was self taught to read and so skipped phonics and all that.

And I often don't even slow down for new words. Which is why my spelling is so abysmal, because I don't *look* at words.

However, I've gotten lots better since I started doing copy editing--and I know the trick of reading backwards. :)

Add'ly, I heard the bit on NPR this morning, and for the first time in memory thought I was glad to be an English speaker. After all, I'd hate to think that my toaster couldn't be named Patricia.

Steve Buchheit said...

Random Michelle K, I learned to read before phonetics was really big. And I also have that problem of reading over big words and learning them from context. The reading backward trick works because it specifically short circuits our normal reading behavior.

And just in general, I can talk for hours about letterforms, legibility, readabillity, functionality, brain patterning, gestalt and all those fun things.

In the US we also have some problems. A quick example is the naming of boats and ships. Boats, to our minds, are feminine (as are planes). So to call a boat by a male name is somewhat rare in our culture. So we have our own issues about naming.

vince said...

At one time I could speak German fairly well, although very little now still resides in my brain. The "use it or lose it" syndrome, don't cha know.

Steve Buchheit said...

Vince, the research shows that just the exposure to the language has lasting effects. I did take a little bit of Spanish, and I think I can still ask where the bathroom is.