I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On Keyboards

You all know I'm trying to get the writing thing going, right? Lately I've been wedging in a few words here, a few words there, on a bunch of different machines and places. So I have a some recent experience using several different keyboards.

Now, when I was a student assistant in the Admissions Office of the U of A, I found my first real love. I had a lust after the computer terminal keyboards, the old ones. They had great functionality and feel. Then in the office we had an IBM Selectric. OMG, now that was a keyboard. I had done my first typing on a manual typewriter. If you've never had to use one, count yourself lucky. The Selectric was like honey. Smooth, easy, and those keys with breakaway springs. Oh my.

So ever since then I've had a love of full function keyboards. They just felt right. So when I saw Apple's new keyboard design, I was immediately put off. It reminded me very much of the old TRSII Color Computer Keyboard (the chicklet keyboards). Not very functional, no play, no feel, no depth of stroke. Nothing.

And then it just hit me the other day when I went to use an older style Apple Keyboard, that was based on the full stroke keyboards of old. Holy crap. I've been ruined. And now I'm really thinking about parting with $50 to get one of the new keyboards for home. Especially since I've realized that I type faster and with fewer errors on those keyboards. Whodathunkit. I actually like those little buttons. And it doesn't feel like I'm whacking the keyboard to get the words out.

So yeah, one is on my wish list. And I may get one I can use for my laptop (which feels constrained even though it's supposed to be a full stroke keyboard). It feels like freedom.

2 comments:

Dan Berlyoung said...

If you are a full out touch typists, you need to try a Kinesis Advantage keyboard. (http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm) it's what has kept me out of the operating room for RSI surgery.

Really, I can't speak highly enough about this thing. At $300, it's a little pricy but as they say, cheaper than surgery. It has good full travel keys (not quite as clicky as the old IBM keyboards, but close) and the contoured shape keeps your wrist's relaxed and your reach is amazingly short for almost any key.

I wish I got a $0.05 every time I've plugged this keyboard, it's that good.

Steve Buchheit said...

Yeah, it's no fun typing when you fingers and hands hurt. While I'm good enough that I don't always have to look while I'm typing, but I still glance down from time to time.