I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Saltpeter, John. Pins, Abigail.

Enjoying my Fourth, trying to get into work mode. Yes, work on a National Holiday. I'm a writer, it's a disease more than a career.

So I've procrastinated by doing paperwork, cleaning up and sleeping in. Not much left to procrastinate with today, so I guess I need to get to work.

On the TV is 1776. It's a tradition for me to watch ever since I was boy growing up in Gibbsboro, NJ. The local Philly TV stations would play it, sometimes on a 24-hour cycle. It's like It's a Wonderful Life but for a different holiday.

My wife bought me the DVD edition last year (as the VHS tape was getting worn, also, we're reducing space used and replacing many of our prerecorded VHS tapes with DVDs, and putting them in slimcases). There are two songs I had never seen, and about six to ten minutes of dialog that was cut in both the VHS and what I remember of the TV broadcast.

So far the weather has held. It was supposed to thunderstorm. I am of two minds about if it should storm tonight. We don't have a local fireworks display to disrupt, but we do have several neighbors that have spend a good deal of their economy on things that go boom. Mortars launching, that peculiar "thoomp" sound, always get my attention. And the smell of gunpowder gets my blood pressure up. So I'm hoping I get some sleep tonight (I'm dead tired from only half sleeping listening to Bette sleep). So rain would help. But then they would be launching fireworks for the next several days. This way, they get it out of their system and will use up their cache.

Hope you're having a good Fourth.

No comments: