I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Missed that Final Savings Throw

(note, sent this as an email post earlier, not sure where it went, so you might see two versions of this before I see them)

Good friend and sometimes commentor (well, we do more in Real Life(tm)) Dan IM'ed me today to tell me Gary Gygax has passed on to the Astral Plane. If you know who he is, you know. If not, this is probably boring.

I spent a good deal of time eating bad pizza and drinking pools full of warm pop playing AD&D. It was a way of connecting with my brother. If you had a good group it was much more fun than just playing the game. And we were old school with dice and books. No computers (laptops hadn't been invented yet, heck, personal computers were brand new). One of the first programs I wrote was a character generation program, including multiple selections and first equipment purchases.

Greyhawk is gone.

Roll d20 saving throw against death magic.

3 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

I see a shrine in the distance.

The party approaches.

It is made of gray stone, several broad steps leading up to a platform on which is a block topped with a large slab. The stone glows faintly.

The Beserker lays down her sword. The Paladin his shield. The ranger her bow. The magician his wand. The thief his dagger. They step back from the steps.

The wind picks up. The weapons disappear. The quest is complete.

The party departs.

Steve Buchheit said...

I see Todd has a dice bag full of d20s, d10s, d8s, and d4s that he's carefully colored in the numbers himself.

Yep, there's a lot of Gary Stepchildren out here.

Todd Wheeler said...

Heh, I forgot all about coloring in those dice. Thanks for the memory.