I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, July 19, 2010

Some midday writing thoughts

S. Andrew Swann has some very poignant things to say about a writer having a web presence. At this point, for the writing, this blog is it (and as I said in a previous blog I seem to be getting on a political jaunt instead of talking about the writing).

There is a reason for that political bent over the writing, being that I haven't been writing much as of late. Take the old job with the Census which really was an "on all the time" kind of position, even though it was sold as "when you can" (the difference between marketing and reality - deleted political comment here), new job which takes up 55 hours a week (40 hours of work, 5 hours of lunch - which, yes, we'd like to reclaim for writing RSN - and 10 hours of commute), and retraining (thankfully I'm down to just two nights a week - but after three weeks of class this is the first week I find myself wondering what I can do with my newly won back Mondays and Wednesdays). There's been some wordage along the way, but not much to talk about. Maybe 10,000 words all put together over the past three months (not including blog posts and comments - those don't count, see Steve's comments linked above, and I agree with that).

The gods, but I need to get back to writing fiction (just ask my friend Dan). It gnaws at me like a squirrel mainlining meth in the middle of a walnut grove near harvest time.

No comments: