I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scenes from a Commute










If you live in NE Ohio, I hope you went out to see the leaves. 'Cause I have a feeling that was the peek. This morning I noticed more bare trees than those that still have their leaves in some sections. Of course, my leaves have only started to fall. I think it was a bumper crop for them this year as the tree were jubilant in the Spring, only to get stressed out in the hot and dry summer. Right now they're trying to get enough water to shut down.

3 comments:

vince said...

Beautiful. The colors, and a good chunk of the leaves here in northern MN are gone. We've had above-normal temps for the past week or so, but now were back to normal.

Anonymous said...

Today did seem duller than yesterday, but I put that down to driving with sunglasses on. But it's been a long, long summer and the dryness does affect the colors.

My walnut tree is slowing turning yellow, a sure sign that the leaves will all fall within a day. It's like leaf-snow. Raking has never been my favorite fall activity, but I love the smell of those leaves.

Does your new snowblower also pick up leaves? That would be too useful, wouldn't it?

Anonymous Cassie

Steve Buchheit said...

Vince, yeah, I expect an Indian summer in about a week, and then a turn for the worse. I just hope all the leaves are down before snow flies (and that I have my snowblower by then).

Cassie, this year was a little more colorful than I initially expected. But the peak was just about as long as I expected (like 2 days). Yesterday morning I finally took the camera with me after thinking about it Monday and Tuesday. As I was driving in I was seeing all the bare trees there are already.

Of course, none of MY trees are bare. Sigh. The snowblower doesn't do leaves, but the mower does (if there's only a few, it'll mulch 'em up good). But I've also been thinking of getting a leaf blower as well. I normally have to rake four or five times (and go on the roof twice). The leaf blower won't help with the roof (they only make extensions for single story homes), but it may cut down on the blisters (I actually have a neoprene sleeve on my good rake, it helps a little).