I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, October 25, 2010

Story Bone

From idle speculation... So, we have present day zombie tales, and near future zombie tales, even far future zombie tales. However, for the life of me, I can't think of a historical zombie story (except, you know, stories written in the past, but those were also present or near future for their time). Now, for other monsters, we have all types of stories, especially about vampires (period pieces, present, far future, SF, Fantasy, horror, humor, mainstream, etc). But I wonder if you could do, say, a Victorian, Edwardian or Napoleonic? I doubt a medieval piece would work (needing the whole Caribbean/African Slave culture as the germ of zombie lore).

8 comments:

Eric said...

You're not counting Army Of Darkness as a medieval zombie apocalypse movie, then?

There have been a fair number of "Weird West" zombie tales, and the albatross that's been around my neck for a long time off-and-on is, essentially, a Civil War zombie project. For what it's worth.

Anonymous said...

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

Anonymous Cassie

Steve Buchheit said...

Eric, I never did see Army of Darkness, so I missed that. And I'll have to check out the Weird West stories to see what they have to offer.

(::smacks forehead::) Cassie, you're so right. I guess I must have a blind spot for those spin-offs (which is bad, because a friend wrote "Little Women and Werewolves").

Eric said...

Army Of Darkness and it's predecessor, the not-quite-aptly named Evil Dead 2 are two of the funnest movies ever made, so, yeah, you need to rent those two. AOD might be best summed up as: "A Complete Douchebag In King Arthur's Court" + Zombies + The Three Stooges. (It also sort of proves that you can build an entire movie around a character with no redeeming virtues whatsoever if he's played by Bruce Campbell.)

Steve Buchheit said...

Well, yeah, Bruce Campbell. It's the delivery, he could sell ice cubes to eskimos.

Mer said...

Not that this is, you know, a widely-known story, but I did write something with medieval "plague-dead" who were definitely zombies. ("Rampion in the Belltower") I thought it worked well enough for a short story.

Mer said...

Oh, and someone in my writing group is working on Victorian zombies, and also, there's a zombie tradition from India, I'm told.

Steve Buchheit said...

Mer, cool. I haven't read that story (will need to track it down). :: also writes on hand to research Indian Zombie tradition ::