There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, May 28, 2012

Another Dream

Last night I had a very realistic dream where I had to go work for one of "those" studios. The "dream job" of high pressure, high profile clients, long hours, all typically for little money, (so I'm no stranger to the "publish here for free for the exposure" ruse), they make up for that by giving rewards (which seem like positive reinforcement, but is actually meant to instill jealousy in the other teams). I've had two of those before. In this case I was hired in as an Art Director in charge of a team of people who were willingly given up by other teams.

I used the good management techniques I learned (mentoring, "when we're successful everybody rides the train, when we fail, it's my fault as manager", positive reinforcement, etc) and took the problem clients and started having successes. I formed a tight team, reduced churn, improved morale, and turned unproductive clients into award winners and enhanced revenue streams.

But then the other teams started cherry picking my team members and foisted off their own people who have checked out and are just drawing a paycheck until they can get another job. this drove down productivity, we started losing clients, my former team members jumped ship before I could get them back. And it all ended in tears and disappointment.

Have I mentioned I go back to work tomorrow?

No comments: