I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Writing - working out in the open

"As a young thumper I thought there were only two ways to retire; to be taken out feet first or to become to old to matter. I didn't know the third way meant becoming too good at one job, rebuilding your skill set in ever more specific ways to find no one needed your speciality anymore. So here I sat looking into the night above the ocean, sword in hand, the smell of decaying life filling my being. My life caught on a career pivot point, facing a quiet death in obscurity. All out of my control."

Debating between the other twenty or so things clamoring for time if I should rewrite Bladesman to be more explicit instead of explaining the situation and expecting the reader to grok the subtext. On one hand, I could make it so much better. And c) one form of writer's death is to rewrite the same thing over and over.

No comments: