There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, June 16, 2008

Tagged like an endangered polar bear trying to find an iceberg

You've seen the meme, "Fifth Sentence, Page 123." Yes, well, Mr. Matt Mitchell decided it would be fun to tag me. So, I'm going to give just a little more (he he he he, that'll learn them) and add in another meme, "One thing about me that you don't know that relates to said 5th sentence" (others who pick up this thread need not continue this) and leave off the last commandment of the first. Consider it my version of blogosphere "telephone line."

“To participate, you grab any book, go to page 123, find the fifth sentence, and blog it. Then tag five people.”

Okay, since I was playing with this book earlier tonight, I'm going to use it. "Arms and Armor, The Cleveland Museum of Art." For those of you who are not from NE Ohio, the Cleveland Museum of Art is a world class museum, and it's Armor Court is world renown. I used to love visiting it. Have I explained my fascination with sharp, pointy, shiny objects before? Oh, we likes them we do, Precious.

This catalog was my gift from going to the armor exhibit a few weeks back. It details much of the CMA's collection (very extensive) and how they displayed it. If you think I'm crazy about the Armor Court, know that when the CMA starts opening back up (they're undergoing extensive renovations) this is the first permanent gallery they will open. That's how important, good, and impressive it is.

The fifth sentence on page 123 is (depending on how you count it):

"The Earl of Clarendon observed of the king's infantry at the Battle of Edge Hill in 1642, that 'in the whole body there was not one pikeman had a corslet.'"

Or (in the description of the photos on the page - 2 of them)

"Broadswords with large double-edged blades, such as this one (Basket-hilt broadsword - mortuary sword - Hilt: England, c 1640-50, Blade: Germany, Solingen(?), Early 18th Century [166]), were designed for heavy cavalry use and were common from the seventeen through nineteenth centuries."

And now the personal part. On page 134 (just the block down from 123) is a picture of their Schiavona Broadsword (this one is a late period and has a very ornate basket). "Schiavona" means "Slavonic." My last name is Slavic. It may look Germanic (and has it's own unique meaning in German), but my family is from what is now Southern Poland. My name is a job description, and basically translates into Forest Ranger for a specific area (Buch). That would have meant my forbearers were arms-men. That particular area of the world was known for a specific export, young mercenaries (ironic given my distaste for them, no?). My ancestors would have been permitted to carry swords (not everybody was, despite what you see at Medieval Fairs) and be sworn to the local king. The Schiavona was the preferred weapon from this part of the world, our trademark if you will, and was also used as a nickname for the troops of mercenaries that came from that region. My ancestors, more than likely, would have carried such a blade.

I have only ever found one reproduction for sale, and I didn't have the cash at the time. I think Windlass Steel makes a version now, though I don't like their craftsmanship (although, it may have improved). And I've never had the money (or complete drive) to commission one. But they're a beautiful thing. I've never liked basketed hilts as they hamper my style, but these are very open and generous and wouldn't rap my knuckles every time I'd flex my grip. And the basket is configured differently than most rapiers.

So the end part of the tag, if you wanna be tagged, go ahead and consider yourself tagged. Just post here with a link to your own blog entry. And now, if you'll excuse me, the one-and-a-half handed sword is calling my attention. Ooo, and they have an excellent picture of the executioner's sword! Oo, I know whom I liked to use that baby on.

Edit I realize this morning that the last statement there was ambiguous. Just to clarify it a little, I didn't mean I'd use it against Matt or anyone who is reading this blog.

3 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

From The Road to Dr. Pepper, Texas: the Story of Dublin Dr. Pepper:

"Billie thought one of the reasons Mr. Prim liked him was because he saved the leftover syrup after each bottling, while the other workers usually threw it out."

Non-fic. I'm on my guy's side of the bed. The towering stacks of fiction are over by my side.

Steve Buchheit said...

Wait?! There's a book about Dr. Pepper? Oh, I am so all over that.

Camille Alexa said...

Uhm...we own several.

But as I've mentioned before, there's a certain amount of fandom to be expected from a guy with a Dr. Pepper tattoo.