There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Various Writing Thoughts

The Journal of Mythic Arts, which was an excellent source of commentary and research, is closing up shop. The Journal was there for me just at the right moment as my writing was switching from SF to more Fantasy. I haven't had the time to read all the recent issues (especially since they went to the blog style of publication), but fortunately they say they'll keep the archive online.

Jay Lake, who IMHO is a BNA, talks about the little green monster. It's refreshing to know that it isn't just us wanna-bees. I know a number of authors that I like hanging around with, joking with, drinking with, whom I'm exceedingly jealous of. Fortunately, that jealously drives me on to do better. It's not the kind that makes me resent the other writers for their success (publishing wise, financially wise, and story telling wise.

Finished listening to Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box. Okay, I'm going to take back the earlier hate statement and say I hate him. What a friggin' good book. It took me a long time to listen to it 1) not exactly work-safe, 2) genuinely disturbing, 3) just in general being distracted by other bright shiny objects. Several excellent twists, although there is the child-molester aspect in the book (tiresome trope in horror, but he makes it work here), and just good writing (and good audio book acting). I have to say, of the various horror writers out there, Joe Hill is becoming my favorite.

The myth of writer suffering is crap. When I go to my doctor appointment I am going to talk about drugs because I do not want to live this way and not be writing. I started this whole journey before the last big depression. I did write during that time (of the last big depression), but my output was less. Over the past two and a half years before this past January I was on a production roll. I was happy. The old job (which did not help if not being the main cause of the depression) dragged me down, and I was glad to be beyond it. While there is writing since January (the vast majority, like 95%+ has been non-fiction), I want to be writing fiction. The depression isn't helping. Small epiphanies as I tried figuring out why I was so productive the last two years and not so much this year.

2 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

Journal of Mythic Arts is closing?

WAH!

I didn't spend nearly as much time there as I should have.

Steve Buchheit said...

Michelle K, I hear ya. I have downloaded spider software specifically for the Journal. It's the best resource I've found so far to start research. Excellent articles and fabulous bibliographic links and information. It's really going to be missed (I know Terri gave other links, I've been to some of them, so far I haven't found any like the Journal).