I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, June 7, 2008

But I Look Normal

I'm an internet junkie. I can't help it. When the internet functions well, and sites provide interactivity of the right kind (there is a wrong kind, BTW), I just love it.

Take ordering from Amazon. Yes, I do a lot of ordering from Amazon. And sometimes I get the packaged shipped UPS. UPS provides a great tracking function. So does FedEx. In fact, for you Mac users out there, you can download a widjet that will help you track the package, just in case you get tired of logging into the sites and clicking on the links. The USPS trackers, though, suck wind. Hey, USPS, you've teamed with FedEx to deliver packages, get something back by getting their tracking software. Just an idea.

Can you tell sometimes I obsessively check the delivery of orders? Yeah, we all can't be balanced everywhere in our lives.

This brings me to my love of electronic submissions. I really love them. I'll sometimes choose a market that pays a little less because they accept electronic submissions. Now, I do love actually mailing things, and receiving real mail. There's something in me that loves it. I also love listening to live radio and watching live TV. But here is where the internet is a better delivery mechanism. So it improves our lives.

This is a long way of getting to my point.

When you submit to Baen, they send you a link to check on the status of your story. Really cool idea, except for us compulsive types. Now, I know I should click on that link more than, say, once every other day, and not as often as, say, every hour.

Oh internets, how you taunt us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I only check the status of boxes that come by UPS.

I like to know when the packages will be delivered, as our UPS driver is a total hoot. Gives me something to look forward to on any particular day, knowing that we will get a visit from our favorite comedian (who is cleverly disguised in a brown uniform!).

I am more obsessive about my bank accounts and credit cards. I log in at least twice a day to check my account balances and charges. Pays off, as I discovered the art museum dinged my VISA for $50 on Thursday for no apparent reason.

I suppose I could check once a day or once every other day. But it is rather addicting, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Electronic subs are the only way to go.

Nathan said...

Tangentially on topic,

If you're ever taking advantage of AppleCare and sending your laptop in for service, they tell you they're going to send you a padded shipping box and you can use it to ship at no charge. Unfortunately, their primary carrier is DHL.

Tell them you absolutely refuse to let DHL touch your computer. The last time I used this service DHL managed to smash the screen the first time they returned it to me and then completely lost the computer on the second return.

I don't remember all of the details, but I remember being on the phone with one of their agents and saying, "Let me get this right. FedEx would be able to tell me that my package is on a truck doing 58 mph in the eastbound lanes of I-80,at mile-marker 162, and the best you can do is say it was scanned into the facility at Akron last Tuesday." They may have improved in the year or so since that happened, but they were clueless then.

Steve Buchheit said...

Sheila, are you sure it isn't for the brown shorts? :) Just kidding. I tend not to do banking over the internet. I just don't trust it.

Camille, esubs are the bomb.

Nathan, oh yes. I've only used DHL three times. I do not trust them. If you remember Oswald on the Drew Carey Show, he worked for Global Parcel. I think they based Global on DHL.

Anonymous said...

Steve, completely and annoyingly off topic...

I do read you via RSS feed and enjoy your writing posts, you're a couple years ahead of me there as you're actively submitting.

That said, I also have been following your struggles with the big D and recall you posting about it again a couple weeks ago. How's that going? Did your last appt w/ the doc provide any insight? That is, if you're comfortable answering that intrusive question here.

I struggle with it too, although it's usually better in the summer when it's sunnier and I'm more physically active. My thoughts are with you!