There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Linkerage

I'm adding more and more of the blogs I follow into Google Reader so I can keep more up to date with that's going on with you all. So far I haven't been able to be as active as I have been in the past (something about no bandwidth to speak of, and keeping the phone lines cleared during the day, plus, you know, all the other stuff I'm doing tends to creep into the time I used to spend blogging).

Also, my website has been updated with new portfolio pieces. I haven't revamped the basic programming yet. Will get to the whole "CSS is the bestest" layout soon. I hope. But, you know what, my site 1) works, 2) loads fast and 3) I like my layout (my goal is to change the backend programming, and go to a new color scheme, but the overall structure won't change).

So, to the writerly links.

Ben Peek talks about time as it pertains to the writing and publishing life. Yeah, what he said. Especially the last line about while waiting, you try to not let it take the love out of it. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Ruthanne Reid on the roaring secret to being published. Yet. It is just what every body has been saying all along. Also, it helps if you're slightly driven, or as other people may say, "crazy." I'm approaching the ten-year mark for taking writing seriously. And I'm just getting those peaks of waves above the water mark in the tub (the tub-theory of publishing). (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Jim Hines is running a survey of first (professional) novel sales. Jim also links to Tobias Buckell's survey so I won't include that link here. Both surveys should be very enlightening (heck, in the past month I've had two discussions about, "Well, you're an author, work that angle for money" - as in, just publish novels and you'll be fine - and then I tell them that not only is the money bad, Toby's survey averaged $5000 advance for first published novels, it could be several years to get all of that). I really look forward to seeing the results. (hey, look, a link that wasn't grokked from Jay Lake, it's like a miracle of its own) Also, Jim on why advances matter. What he said.

And on the other side, self-published author Ken McConnel has a good month on Kindle. Ken is going his own route and, for a self-published author, making it work. From what I've read, Ken is a success story in the publishing model he has chosen. Go, Ken! (also note, Ken is very aware of what he is doing, and he puts a lot of time into his projects, which is why he is successful)

And now to the political links (also grokked from Jay Lake, you know, I should send him a dollar or something for all the great reading he himself hasn't done, but has pointed me to).

Ezra Klein on parlimentary tricks and heavy handed deal making and threatening. Oh yeah, this is about Medicare Part D. If you think what's going on now is so bad, give a look at what happened then. Yet another reason why I'm for getting this done. Republicans are talking about how terrible it will be if Congress passes HCR. Yes, it will be terrible for them. The Democratic Party and the country in general, however will be much better for it. Also note, the HCR legislation fixes one of the major complaints about Medicare Part D, the notorious "donut hole."

And, this from a BBC editorial asking is US politics nastier than ever? "No Conservative party in Europe would touch Obama's proposals. They are far too right-wing."

No comments: