I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, April 14, 2007

New Toys!

Well, after nearly a decade of faithful service, it's (long past) time to retire the beige G3 "home" computer. So in comes a new 20" iMac. And a new printer. And a new Airport. New toys for me to play with. Yippie!

It's hard to find ink cartridges for the old printer, and I've been itching to update it with a printer, copier, scaner, stand alone fax device for five years. Now I have an excuse. New printers, though, only have drivers for OS X (yeah, I could have faked it). Also, the old OS9 apps were showing their age, the email, the browsers, just everything was having problems. And there were no more upgrades. So we're onto the new machine!

Well, right after I transfer and update data from OS9 apps. And then get everything working right. And put it all together. And...

On the plus side when I saw that Apple's Universal updater for the iMac was about 352megs I was able to cart the iMac to my secondary broadband access point. So what would have taken 36+ hours (probably double that) of download time was accomplished in about two hours. That time includes downloading the update to Quicken 2007 (which isn't here yet, but once it is I have the updater) and a few other widgets and programs. And carting an iMac is relatively easy.

Add in the design work I need to complete this weekend (when did I get busy with that work?) and there goes all the time. Yeesh.

I should say I do most of my writing on my 17" Powerbook (G4). The old machine handled business suff, and worked for my wife (who really hates that we had to upgrade, she doesn't like change, hence the 10-year old computer).

4 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

Congrats!

Not a Mac guy myself (I've tried them, even did tech support for them for a time) but I can appreciate the glee. Our computer is 8+ yrs old. Soon, very soon.

For now, I have to be satisfied with my own new toy. Amazing piece of technology, really. And small. The manual was almost thicker than the device! And with it, I can get in touch with people from anywhere in the continental United States.

It's called a 'sell-fone'.

I hear they are quite popular. Though I'm not sure what I'm supposed to 'sell'.

David Klecha said...

I love my Mac Mini. I won't need to upgrade it for a while, maybe another year or two at least. And then I think I'd like to go for a Mac Pro with a 20" (if no 23") widescreen.

What I need is a new laptop. All I have currently is a tablet PC from work--with a jittery screen and poor battery life. (All I've ever gotten there has been hand-me-downs from the President and/or sales team.) I was thinking about the MacBook Pro, but then I realized the only reason I was really into that was for the screen size. But I've been working on 12" tablet screens for so long, even a 13" MacBook would seem like glorious spaciousness.

Anonymous said...

Your new toy is already obsolete. Behold and covet your future.

http://thirdeyedumb.com/2007/04/geek_culture_awesome.html

-Nathan

Steve Buchheit said...

Macs are fabulous. Having used Windows since Version 3.2 and Macs (also mainframes, and many CLI computers from VAXes to virtual machines linked to the mainframes to Apple II's, and other older computers, also some Silicon Graphix boxes and various flavors on UNIX) I have to say I love the Mac. Yeah, I've seen Vista, I have a laptop right behind me with Vista on it (for Village Work, only they don't work all that great, some of the machine, some of the business work flow). I still love my Macs.

Todd, the "sell" part was the sale to you. And th egood thing about "sell-phones" is that htey keep selling to you. :) Yes, I finally have one. It's a Trac-fone. My wife and I share it. It's not always on.

Dave, I say you start doing the movie consulting with your local film bureau so you can afford the 30" screen for that mini. It's a magnificent thing. I feel like that monkey on 2001 stretching his hand out to feel the monolith when I see it in the stores. Pretty screen, must touch. I got the 17" laptop so I could use graphic software with it. All those floating pallets have to go somewhere. As it is I usually have six processes going on at the same time. (email, several tabbed wesbites, Illustrator, InDesign, font software all open with their windows displayed).

Nathan, those look like several of my friends and their computers. You know, except for the Vista on that top back projection rig. One friend has an old video game rig he has hooked up to one of his old machines. And all those machines together reminds me of my friend Dan's basement (Hi, Dan!).