I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, March 9, 2012

1, 2, 3 What are we fightin' for, don't ask me I don't give a damn

I think this is because I've heard one too many comment about this. Okay, in the wake of the Super Tuesday election here in Ohio, I've heard many people (including our own Mike Dewine, who supported Romney before he switched to Support Santorum) talk about how Romney outspent Santorum 10 to 1, but only won by 1%. And how this goes to show that, "it's not about money." Yeah, bullshit. Here's the real facts. Two weeks ago Ohio was a walk-away for Ricky. He lead Romney by 20 points in almost all the polls. And in two weeks Romney wiped that all away. A 21 point swing in two weeks. That's what all that money bought. And that's a hell of a bargain.

Now I could also talk about how the shiny "not-Romney" candidate seems so spectacular to every new electorate that bellies up to the electoral bar. Only to have that said candidate open their mouth while people are paying attention. At that point, the curve bends quickly in the other direction. This is what's called "the whackaloon effect." The "Oh, (insert not-Romney candidate here) feels what I feel, he speaks from the heart, and I'd like ot have a beer with them," sentiment quickly turns to "ZOMG, this freeze-dried whackaloon could never win in a general election, and they're pretty horrible to boot. The probably have frosted-kittens for breakfast."

Do I need to run out the list of all those who have become road kill this year? And do I need to point to the plethora of not-Mitts whom the faithful would love to run, only for those people to chuckle and say, "No more for me, thanks, I'm driving"?

So, first point is, "Yes, money is making a big difference in this campaign, and there's a hell of a lot of it sloshing around." And the next point is, "It's going to be Romney. Might as well line up to drink the kool-aid already as it's getting hot in the noon-day sun."

And here I'll make my predictions. I think Santorum will rack-up the South and Romney will be forced to choose between him and Rubio (who I don't think would actually accept the VP nod). And a Romnney/Santorum ticket is even more poisoned than a McCain/Pailin ticket (which is why I think Rubio will sit this one out and wait for 2016). There's still an opportunity for someone else to get the nod (whoever thought it would be Palin at this point in the campaign). Santorum, however, if he's not the VP will have enough candidates to make a stink at the convention (think Pat Buchanan in 92). Newt will settle for a cabinet position in a Romney Administration, possibly Sec. of State (and if that doesn't scare the ever lovin' crap out ya, you might want to think that through). Ron Paul, well, it's Ron's last hurrah. Thanks for playing, Ron. Really wish we would have put that blue reactant in the pool before you got in.

No comments: