I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Linkee-poo has a crummy job, it don't pay near enough

And I'm working like a dog at that job, so not a long one today.

Also, I'd like to mention that last night I happen on that last sign of spring. The spring peepers are up and singing. There were several spots on the commute home where they drown out the radio.

Cat Rambo waxes on transitions and Joe Abercrombie. Transitions are a tough one, and it's a skill that I think plenty of us can work on. And now I go to put Joe Abercrombie on my to read list.

The title of this article is "The Reproduction of Privilege". IT should be, "The Reinforcement of Privilege." I should feel lucky. I'm probably from the last generation of kids from low income families that could go to college on grants and scholarships. That's not to say I wasn't saddled with over $15,000 of debt by the time I graduated (it was nearly 3x as much for my wife). But it was doable at the time (I still wonder how I did it). And that doesn't include the debt my Mom incurred when she was able, but just the loan amounts. And I think our country is poorer because kids like I was don't have the same opportunities (not only from a gross-finance perspective, but as evidenced by my experience with the local school system, because they're told they shouldn't even try and aren't given the tools to make the attempt). (Grokked from Jay Lake)

John Scalzi on how movie profits works. Also note, this is how most entertainment products (music, books, etc) work (although to different percentages).

"A lot of these things are in his heart." Ricky's statements about Holland's euthanasia "program" gets challenged by a Dutch reporter, only to be stymied by the Santorum spokesperson constantly repeating talking points only tangentially related to the question. So, what does that make a "Christian" who has falsehoods in their heart? (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Ah, the fabled Reagan economy and recovery. Yeah, begin to see the hypocrisy? Hey, TPers, time to face reality. Who am I kidding, it's not about reality, is it. I mean, domestic oil production is significantly up under Obama's rules but the fringe-right likes to talk about how it's down.

Alligator Quotient: I'm draining the swamp while nobody is looking. That might help.

No comments: