I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Linkee-poo shifts into Sunday gear

How to think like an editor.

Neil Gaiman make my heart ache to get back into a writing routine. Well, at least I can live the "writer's life" vicariously through him and my writer friends.

Maybe Romney could say he voted for it before he voted against it? The it in this case being the individual mandate. Seems he wrote a USA Today editorial basically outlining the individual mandate and telling President Obama that it worked in MA, so it should work for everybody. You got some 'splainin to do, Lucy. Maybe Romney will also finally tell the conservatives that the individual mandate was the brain child of the Heritage Institute. But then that would have to acknowledge that accurate history isn't what the conservatives have been telling themselves. Might as well also tell the conservatives that Ronnie Reagan raised taxes 11 times after he realized his tax cuts were killing the economy and reduced tax receipts. You can say it all you want, and point out the actual history, but they'll never believe you.

Because I'm tired of the conservative mantra, "We get death threats for speaking the 'truth'." Yeah, well, so does everybody. And considering that there are conservative attorneys general who have been pursuing climate change witch hunts, I'm not all that sympathetic. And if you're a union organizer, well it's even worse. (Grokked from Paolo Bacigalupi)

(It's possible that) One out of every ten Wall Street employees is a psychopath. Knock me over with a feather. Having dealt directly with top management in companies, especially financial companies, their claim of 4% of executives are psychopaths might be a little low. Also, I'll note here that the clinical view of psychopaths differs from the popular view. It's too bad that executives and Wall Streeters are going to sully the popular opinion of psychopaths even more. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Alligator Quotient: They're waiting at work. I can feel their breath form here.

2 comments:

Phiala said...

Writing routine? Hah.

I don't expect to do any fiction for at least the next six weeks, except during Sunday evening writer hangouts perhaps. That's an hour a week, and that's probably more than I should be devoting.

Lots and LOTS of nonfiction writing, though.

Steve Buchheit said...

Sarah, oh yeah. I do lots of writing and editing at work. Not to mention side stuff at home (helping people). And then there's the blog. So I know what you're saying. However, it kills me that none of it is word count toward the next novel.

I'm also hoping for some writers retreat time soon.