I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Linkee-poo is always drunk on Sunday, trying to feel like I'm at home

Angry Robot Books is having an open reading period for high/epic/sword and sorcery fantasy. (Grokked from ChiaLynn)

Jay Lake's interview with the Oregonlive.com.

Illiteracy can be dangerous. (Grokked from Joe Hill)

Sarah Pekkanen on what she learned about writing a novel. And I think what's she's discussing there, actually having a plot, is what is blocking from the novel I want to write. Sure, it's a pretty Christmas Tree I can hang all these jokes off of, but where's the tension, where's the plot? I get close to one, but never get it fully realized.

A highly intelligent woman speaks out. What she discusses there was a hard lesson for me to learn. After Bette got her PhD I loved to introduce her as "Doctor Beck", because I was proud of her accomplishment. She asked me not to do that, and for the longest time I didn't understand. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Just incidentally, as I type this, I have Meet the Press on in the background. They're discussing "gender politics." The panel is four guys, including the moderator, and one woman. Well, at least it's one more than the Issa panel on birth control vs religious freedom.

Oh sure, it may be research using virtual reality to watch the neurological changes in animals today, but when you start losing HALO to a cockroach, you won't think it's so funny then. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

2 comments:

Eric said...

Pfft--I'm pretty sure that cockroach was just a button-masher.

Steve Buchheit said...

I wonder if cockroaches can get a repetitive stress injuries.