There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Linkee-poo is only willing to hear you cry because I am an innocent man

Way, way behind in my reading, and it doesn't look good for catching up anytime soon. But here's some cool things I've come across.

Mer Haskell talks about the "last" edit in the process of publishing a book. And for those of you who don't know, Mer's a damn good writer. She knows more about sentence structure and grammar in a few languages than I know about my own. Just in case you're still wondering why books cost so much when the actual paper version costs so little to produce.

James Gurney of magical light effects. Or how to focus attention on what needs attention, and sketch in the rest for impressionism. For which I'll also recommend the paintings of Goya and Valazquez. (Grokked from Jay Lake - which whom I agree, there's much for the writer to learn in that short post)

And because I liberally rip off his ideas link to his posts, a little link lovin' to Chuck Wendig who's latest, Blackbirds, went on sale yesterday.

And there's another shoe dropping in the ebook wars. Yes, some publishers are starting to "get it". In this case Tor and Forge (imprints of Macmillan) are going DRM free. (Grokked from matociquala)

Continuation of the top ten things you should know about your own book, nine through seven and six. I haven't read them yet, but working through my backlog.

Vince shares with us the Eye of Sauron cake. Hmmm, cake. So, I guess that would answer Eddie Izzard's infamous question with, "Both, please."

Jim Hines, having won fame by contorting himself to match the portrayal of women on the the covers of books, now takes a whack at the men. Please note that while there is some male beef cake being portrayed, what is being shown of men is not equivalent of how women are displayed (notice no bulging "Sticky Fingers" images, nor any assess chaps). Also note how Jim doesn't need to see a chiropractor after this session.

The source code for Apollo and Gemini programs. Some cool computer nepery there. (Pointed to by Dan)

The list of climate denialism and the truth. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

All righty then, I'll go to hell. That's the Slactivist on the morality of "good christians" praying and wishing for people to go burn in hell.

Because not all religious people in the abortion debate are completely insane, some of them remember the actual gospel. And can I say with some pride, it's the UCC (my old church) that stands up for what is right, again. (Grokked from the Slactivist)

The Slactivist puts my thoughts about last week's Ohio campaign trips into better focus that I could. The only thing I would add is it seems strange that the presumptive nominee of the party that espouses "Government can't create jobs" and "Government shouldn't pick winners and losers" is the exact one who is saying not only could he create more jobs if president, but that the government should have reopened that specific gypsum factory. The double-speak, it burns.

Oh noes! Fox News is biased?! So says Gingrich and Santorum? Oh noes! To quote Inigo, "YOu keep using that word. I donna think it means what you think it means." (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Tweet of my heart:
@FearDept: Have the heart of a CIA interrogator and the integrity of an FBI informant. Be drone pilot brave.

Alligator Quotient: Does anybody know if there's a Milkbone product for alligators? Their breath is really bad, being carnivores and all.

No comments: