I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Linkee-poo closes the door to the Green Veldt room

To go against the "write every day mantra" (of which I wish I could do, and maybe I'll get into the swing of that by the end of summer), write some days/write when you can. Before things went insane, I did have a day job, and the councilman work, and I still got a book written somewhere in between. It just takes a lot longer (and it's a lot harder).

NPR's summer fantasy reading list. (Grokked from Saladin Ahmed, who is featured)

Don't forget to wear your sunscreen. Having had my first sarcoma removed almost a year ago, yes this. Which, personal note, with my medical exam yesterday I was asked if I ever had cancer and I replied "No." About 3 hours after I did that I realized, why, yes I have had cancer. Sigh. The games our brain plays on us. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Remember when Google followed their "Do no evil" mantra? Yeah, it's been a long time ago for me as well. Also, remember when Google was a search engine not an ad delivery device? Yeah, me neither. (Pointed to by Dan)

In case you're wondering why Flame has people wigged out, here's a list of what it can collect (that we know about). (Pointed to by John)

An immigration protestor is lead out of a Romney Texas Townhall. Ironically, it's while Romney kept going on about how freedom has helped make America strong. Apparently the freedom to dissent from conservative ideals isn't one he supports.

"As I said, for all practical purposes this is already a Republican economy." Paul Krugman telling the secret that news organizations don't really want to hear. Including that we're making the same mistakes as FDR did, which exacerbated the Great Depression (not by Presidential choice, but by the obstructionist Congress). (Grokked from Jay Lake)

"Vic Eliason is 76 years old… That may seem too old to be hosting a show called 'Voice of Christian Youth,' but you have to remember that Eliason wasn’t born until hundreds of years after the 17th century he’s trying to drag us back to. Compared to Cotton Mather, he’s still just a kid." Fred Clark on a little of the absurdist humor being peddled as insightful commentary on Christian Radio these days. Also with a side bit on serial "Those People" Hater Bryan Fischer. Want to know what's wrong with Evangelical Wackaloon Christianity in America today? There's your answer. Yes, I know not all Christians believe these ignoramuses or even have heard of them, but these are leaders in their community, spokespeople for large organizations, "mass co-mun-i-ca-ton'" as it were, not some backwoods snake-handlers.

One more conservative looks around and doesn't like what he sees in the conservative party. Our side isn't all that much better, but at least we don't get spittle-flecked when arguing. And we don't venerate the more vociferous of our clan, we tend to keep them at the edges of the tent. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

No comments: