I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, December 20, 2012

I fought for King and country I loved dear

Another from the Xmas playlist, John McCutcheon's "Christmas in the Trenches."



Soon daylight stole upon us and France was France once more
With sad farewells we each prepared to settle back to war
But the question haunted every heart that lived that wonderous night
"Whose family have I fixed within my sights?"

What is often left out from the histories is that the troops who engaged in a few of these truces had to be replaced because they refused to follow orders to attack. The insurrection was so wide spread that the officers couldn't court martial all the participants, so instead they just cycled in fresh recruits. The future use of gas munitions ended much of the peace that had prevailed.

No comments: