There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Linkee-poo celebrating your extra second with an extra second post

No, I haven't run out of lyrics to use as titles, I'm just mind-blastedly tired from all the workz. And coming up with some slightly more obscure lyric line that may (or may not) apply to the general run of stories I'm linking to might just be the straw that breaks my brain. Sorry. Normal programming should continue sometime before I die. (Just had an image of me in a nursing home, blogging… shudders from the willies)

Replacing silicon in solar cells. (Grokked from Robert J Bennett)

Help the HAMs. Because in emergencies, they help us. (Grokked from Ken McConnell)

"The test has been thoroughly revamped and is now three hours longer. It takes 7 1/2 hours to complete, including breaks, and covers four new subjects, including a combined section on psychology and sociology, that account for a quarter of the overall score." The new MCAT (the ACT/SAT for medical school). And reading the interviews with potential students I find myself thinking, "Oh man, are you all in for a surprise." The one student says he's worried because the new sections (Sociology and Psychology) will come at the end, and he'll be tired by then. I feel for you brother, I do. Here's something I learned in X-Ray clinicals, the best, most exciting cases always came in at 4:30pm, right at the end of our normal shift. I often stayed to do them (which I think helped me get the job later, hint to all you in school) because 1) Never abandon a patient (that's malpractice) 2) KEWL stuff Maynard. No, seriously, it was like clockwork (it even didn't matter when our shifts would end, it was always at the end the most complex, interesting cases would come in). We were tired. We were fuzzy from low carbs. And you ad to have all of your learning on the desktop (as my A&P prof put it, not in storage, not available, you had to be able to instantly access some deep knowledge). As a doctor, you're going to have to be able to do that at 18 hour days. Seven and a half hours is nothing. And for the other student coming from the humanities, if you don't have A&P down by now, you're behind the curve. If this is what you want, I hope you're taking a lot of those basic classes now. It'll be too late when you're in medical school. But, I do agree, we do need to have these skills in our doctors (I say this having had to express my concerns about potential abusive situations with patients to the ER docs, because it's their call and they need the info, most of them already had an inkling something was going on). And if you're not prepared for the first patient that goes apeshit because you're the 3rd person in the room, you're male, you're tall, you have a beard, you make an off-hand remark which reminds them of something that terrified them, you better get ready (yes, I've experienced all of those, several times, I now can spot some of the troubles up front, it's sort of like learning the smell of cancer and c-diff).

And here I'll just make the lament, I've been told more than once during this training I should go to medical school (or try to be a Radiologist Assistant). If I were 20, I might (and I often regret that at the time I didn't think I was smart enough to be one). But at almost 50, I wouldn't have the time to recoup the investment after I'd graduate (also, damn I'm tired of school and work - and work). But I've seen doctors I admire and doctors I wouldn't trust. Sitting with the one radiologist for a day had me very excited to try RA. So that Humanities Student who wants to try it. Go for it, dude. Good luck. (I also think about if I had discovered that I like being a Radiological Tech back in high school, just how different my life would have been, and I have conflicting emotions about it).

American radicalism on the left and right. Some historical photos of rallies in 1939.

"Employees with a salary of $23,660 a year or more can be considered management and barred from time-and-a-half pay, even if they work more than 40 hours. The proposed change from the Obama administration would raise the bar to $50,440. And it'll move in the future to keep pace with inflation and wage growth." YES! Although I no longer qualify (at least at the job where I don't get paid overtime). But I would have for many a position. And, given that whole "pace with wage growth" which isn't really happening, who knows, maybe I will qualify again. And before everyone gets all upset, hey, this won't really be finalized until late 2016, which means the next President could override it without much controversy (there's something about "rules enacted in the last 100 days need to be reconfirmed by the new President," but I'm too tired to google it).

A white comedian tries to get arrested. (Grokked from Vince O'Conner)

In a 7 to 2 vote "(t)he Oklahoma Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that the state must remove a controversial Ten Commandments monument from the capitol in Oklahoma City, the Tulsa World reported." And I would be happy for them that sanity finally broke out in Oklahoma, except now the Satanic Temple is dropping its plans to place a statue of Bhaphomet on the state grounds as well. Can't win them all, I guess. Although, as the Temple points out, there are plenty of other places for them to place the statue in capitals that still have 10 Commandment monuments. You go with your crazy selves. (Grokked from Dan)

"The Ku Klux Klan will hold a protest on the South Carolina capitol grounds over the state's decision to consider removing the Confederate flag, the Post and Courier reported." I'm sure they're just citizens concerned with keeping the South's culture and heritage intact. Pointed to just in case anyone is still confused over what the Stars and Bars stands for. Also, "grand titan"?! Seriously, KKK, how can we take you seriously when your society's ranks read like boss names in a bad video game? And glad you helped encourage Dylan Roof with your comment at the end, nice touch. Please fuck off and die. (Grokked from John Scalzi)

In Columbia S.C. a fight started about 7:15 p.m. Monday when about a dozen vehicles with Confederate flag supporters pulled up in front of the Statehouse and stopped in the middle of the street… About 10 of the flag supporters clashed with about 30 people who were on the Statehouse grounds protesting the flag." That doesn't sound thuggish at all.

No comments: