There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Good Words About Writing

On today's Writers Almanac with Garrison Keillor we find that it is the birthday of George Abbott who wrote Damn Yankees. He said, "I was not a successful playwright until I took parasitical advantage of other people's ideas."

John Scalzi gives an explanation on why news writers are kind of old. And it all depends on your definition of old. I'm young, damnit. I'm only 18 in my mind (sometimes younger).

Brad Torgersen illustrates the bathtub theory of a writer's progression. This is also along the theory of "you have a million words of crap you need to get through before you start writing at the professional level." Although it has pictures. Mmmm, pictures. (grokked from Jay Lake's link salad)

Jim Hines is pontificating about what a story is over at SF Novelists. And he's running a contest to see if you can come up with a better definition. Ooo, contesty.

Justine Larbeleister is pontificating on what being an artist is really about and economic models, blah blah blah. She makes the argument about helping others and doing what you love and blah blah blah. Me? I'm in it for the money. All the filthy lucre I can get. (For those of you who may be new, I'm being ironic here. Don't believe me? I write short speculative fiction, go check on how much that pays. When you pick yourself back up off the floor you'll find you believe me then. I don't think even Dan Brown got in it for the dough. JK Rowling is, well, JK Rowling.)

No comments: