I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, June 25, 2009

We walk through the door, so accusing their eyes...

Just finished keying in the fourth round of edits. I think that's it. I could, of course (and probably will) rewrite this part another half-dozen times, but I think it's good enough to show people (again, I apologize to all my fellow Hasting Point Writers One! for having to read such a crazy first draft). I think it's more than enough to get me in to VP. But then, what do I know. I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with it. I chased all the plot bunnies out with a stick.

Applying early does have it's advantages and I'm applying late in the game.

Final word count for the first five chapters, 8690. I did cut some, added elsewhere. Maybe a total of 300 words changed hands (which is below normal for me, again, maybe novel length is my strength). I did a bunch of rearranging but only at the sentence and intra-paragraph level. I didn't move paragraphs around or pull parts out to stick in other chapters.

Tired beyond tired. Tomorrow I'll print out a good copy, write the cover letter, and package it all up for a Saturday trip to the post office.

Seriously hoping this light at the end of the tunnel isn't a west-bound dragon.

3 comments:

Mer said...

Good luck!!

Todd Wheeler said...

Best of luck with the submission. Sending positive karmic thoughts towards the Vinyard.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks Todd and Mer. It now sits in the envelope ready to go tomorrow.