There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Late summer Sunday slog

The good news? The Ames Straw Poll is less than 50% accurate as to the final Republican candidate (and one of it's "successful" picks was actually a tie). For me, the current Republican line up is a choice of "which one would screw us over the least." While at this point polls are meaningless, it is noteworthy that given all of the conservative rhetoric and vitriol against Present Obama, he's still polling higher than any declared candidates against him.

Why is it when PBS goes into fund-raising mode, they play shows I really don't want to watch. And then, while they're showing the special programming, they talk about how your pledge helps support programing "like this." Well, no. Because you don't play those shows except when you're fund raising. Here's an idea, create episodes of your regular shows that are designed for fund raising (timing of breaks, faster presentation, etc). About the only regular shows that I know that do this is the News Hour and Travels with Rick Steves (which it would be nice to have some newer episodes).

As a followup to my linkee-poo post on Rick Perry, now that he held a prayer meeting to "cure the woes of the nation" Texas is finally getting some rain. Or, now that he's no longer praying for it, the rain has come. What does that mean, it means we're all screwed because he's praying for the national economy now. Let's hope God loves the rest of us more than he does Rick Perry and doesn't decided to get all "sins of the fathers" on us. Also, did I forget to mention how Ricky balanced his Texas budget by taking all the stimulus money he railed against? Six-billion dollars worth? Such principled hypocrisy he has.

Did too much rootin and scrutchin yesterday. so today the muscles hurt. But there's one more project done. However the major project still needs to be more than "started". Especially if I want to do the solar tubes in the living room this fall. Which I wanted to do.

We haven't done really anything summery fun this year. Except for last week's Arts Fair at the West Woods. So now I'm going throw the "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" syndrome again. I thought I had kicked myself out of that rut. It's a little depressing to find I'm right back in there. Heck, I haven't even made a root beer float yet this summer.

I find it interesting that many people are commenting on the unusual weather we're having in August. Many parts of the country are still in Heat Wave City, but here in Ohio at least, we're having slightly cooler temperatures. Exactly at the time we should be having higher temperatures. The other day when I went out for my noon time speed walk (15 minutes of fast walking, followed by 15 minutes of stuffing food in my maw before getting back to work) I thought, "Those clouds look like fall." But really, all this weather feels like fall. Of course I know why people aren't talking about it, it's relatively pleasant. However, it's wrong for this time of year. Corn should be drying in the fields right now, and I don't think we're there yet.

This morning I woke up thinking about work. There's something wrong about that. It's Sunday morning. I'm not supposed to start worrying about Monday until around 6 or 8 tonight. Sigh.

No comments: