There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Why (Annie Lennox)

Okay. I'm reading the Year's Best Fanatsy and Horror 2006 (Datlow, Link, Grant). There are a couple of stories that are outstanding (Jeff Ford's Boatman's Holiday) and a few stories I just couldn't care about (skip those after a few paragraphs). Last night was a story that had me asking, "How the heck did this get printed, let alone selected for the Year's Best?" Here's another example of, "I can do better than that. I am doing better than that." POV slipped, there were three places that were unbelievable (as in, that wouldn't work at all, not just a fantastical element) and kicked me out of the story, and there was a huge info dump in the middle. I almost stopped reading (actually I did and then went back). I had to know just what somebody thought was good. I never did find it.

So, end analysis, hope for me.

3 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Someone once told me, "Life is too short to read something simply because someone else gave it an award."

Thank you.

--Camille

Steve Buchheit said...

"Hmm, who was that," he said, stroking his beard.

Yeah, I know. It was like a car accident, though. I did skip to the next story, but then I thought, "well, maybe it'll have something," and went back. By the time I got to the second time I thought, "that just wouldn't work that way. Hasn't this person ever been out of the house?" I just had to finish it. There had to be something. But like getting to the bottom of the overly sugared cereal box only to find that they didn't include the toy in your box, I was dissappointed.

Steve Buchheit said...

Yes, the box that held the cereal was overly sugared. :)