There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I can (cough) see clearly (wheeze) now (cough) the rain (hack) is (cough) gone (wheeze)

Well, the three month plan of China's overgrupenfuerers seems to have gone bust. After a good day on Sunday, the smog is back over Beijing. This Olympics will be remembered for more than the medals. Already there is political strife (some VIPs have been denied entry visas), athlete scandals (just how old are China's gymnasts), and all the fun surrounding the torches progress to the eternal flame. Just wait until the world sees athletes in face masks, the reports how some athletes are not competing in their signature events because they don't want the health problems, and the ever famous "location" shots that appear to show the venues surrounded in fog, perpetually.

I have major issues with the EPA. Not in their authority or their purview, but in their implementation of the rules (which tends toward the ignorant authoritarian side). However, I do remember "haze clouds" over Philly and Cleveland. I remember the smell of cities. How many young people know what I'm talking about when I say you could see the temperature incline in the air because that was the deepest brown line in the sky? I remember that very well. It's still there, but it's much harder to see. When I was young you couldn't miss it. This is why I support the general mission of the EPA. As you watch the Olympics keep in mind that what you're seeing isn't to far away from what our skies looked like in the 70s. Keep it in mind as people talk about relaxing air quality standards.

I do not want to go back to that.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go get Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" out of my head. That thing is an earworm we're all going to be humming.

No comments: