I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday muddled through

When I was but a wee lad and playing baseball, I remember the coaches telling us that even if we were thrown out at first, we needed to "dig, dig, dig" and make it there anyway. I think some of the olympians needed to have heard that before. It's not over until you cross the finish or they carry you off.

So, today, we started applying for positions outside of the design field. I might not get as good of pay, but sometimes a job with benefits is better than no job. I'm also finding it interesting what people are asking for, especially for my profession. Essentially, you have to do everything. Print, web, consulting, and maybe specialization in some office productivity software. Oh, and it's an entry level position. Heck, I've even seen "unpaid intern" positions that offer "a learning opportunity." Since many of my friends are in writing, this is the equivalent of "exposure" publication. Now, an internship in a studio, that's one thing. Being an intern in what's called "in-house" just is looking for slave labor. Especially if you report to someone other than a Sr. Designer or Art Director (the two I've seen report to someone in sales or the management team - ie. not the design management team).

Learned about "ultrasound tech." Wow. (do a salary search for your locality - holy frijoles) Unfortunately I can't find any place local that trains for it. Sigh.

Started cleaning up the Raas Xaafuun story. Really should be working or rewriting the novel. Beating myself up for not doing that. I'm hoping this is my brain saying, "Okay, enough time off, get back to work." Maybe I should hit the Village Hall to get broadband and start submitting some things that I let drop off the radar. Also should query some submissions that are over a year old.

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I sometimes have to prompt myself to get back in the query game as well.

Steve Buchheit said...

Travis, it seems to be a recurring theme with me.