I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, January 2, 2010

WIPped into Rejection

I think I have what Bette had before. I feel like crap and hurt all over.

What I thought would be two chapters got condensed into one. Which is okay as I felt two chapters would be a bit long for the denouement. Chapter 41 came in at 1705 words, which feels about right.

On the other side, it's done. I'm not very happy with the ending. While the ending of the action I think should work, I'm not sure people will accept the emotional tone of the overall story ending. It's not so much a "they all lived happily ever after" as it's more of a "coming to grips with who they are and what they have to do." Well, that can be fixed in the rewrite. That's what rewrites are for, aren't they.

But, hey, it's done. I wrote a novel. Now I need to get back to work and fix it. So, as you can see, I know have a second progress bar to track rewrites. I'm not sure how I'll do this, but I'll try. I'm sure that number will go up and down. And the new target of 85000 is a rough guess. That might change as well. I know I want to be over 60000 and under 100000.

So now I'm only two days over my third deadline. The path forward from this point? Some writers feel you should let the first draft sit for a time before starting. I'm not sure that's my process. There's that novel critique I need to get done for a friend. I'll need to go through all the critique notes from Viable Paradise (which I have been avoiding to keep me going forward). There's a few short stories I've been wanting to work on. I don't know. My brain is kind of fuzzy at the moment.

And finally, checking in tonight brings word from Weird Tales that they're passing on "Prince Wanted." Well, it was sort of a long shot as well for that market. Ann says it's not what she's looking for, which I think is part of her boilerplate. At least the last few rejections have had that line. So part of tomorrow will be looking for a new home for that one.

7 comments:

Rick said...

You know why I like coming here- first you're a great guy, and second, it's nice to see someone actually working hard. Sorry, you sound like you're sick though Steve. Get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the draft!

Anonymous said...

*raises hand*

I too got my Weird Tales rejection.

I'm going to have a couple more eyes look over the story, and send it elsewhere.

Steve Buchheit said...

Rick, thanks. And I am trying to work hard, some days it doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere, but I keep pounding away at it.

Elizabeth, thanks.

Catherine, yeah, Ann must have caught up on all her submissions over the holiday weekend. It looked like Klima was doing the same, but after the 1st, the submissions page where we can "check the progress" just states that submissions are closed. Not very helpful for those of us wanting to check on pieces already submitted (last I saw I was at 71).

Jarrett Rush said...

Sincere congratulations, novelist.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks, Jarrett. It's my first finished novel. Now I need to fix it and start flogging it. And then work on the next one.

Anonymous said...

Rejection happens.

Hope you're feeling better!