I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, August 31, 2007

Holy Frijolies and Meat Pies!

They're making Sweeny Todd into a movie. How wacked is that? This is a little old (it should have been out by now), but Johnny Depp as Sweeny and Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett. OMG! Tim Burton directed! I think I just orgasmed. OMG! This Christmas! Holy Frick! I gotta go change my underwear. It's horror, it's historial, it's comedy, it's a musical! (Yes, I've seen it on stage which is why I'm so excited)

Did I say... OMG!

And the radio is playing Christine Lavin. I'm in heaven. Did I die on the way home? Was that the thing with the dog on the motorcycle? Did I also win the Mega Millions (darn it, numbers aren't posted yet)?

Edit 10:51 pm Alan Rickman is Judge Turpin. I don't know who cast this movie but I love you. Hollywood, you should give this person more work.

Full disclosure, I was looking for information on The Dark Knight Returns which should be coming out the summer of 2008. Add in The Golden Compass, Spiderwick and a few others (Dark is Rising and Beowulf not so much, although A. Jolie as Grendle has some potential, at least that's what I got out of the trailer, didn't seem much like the book anyway so it could be Beowulf - The Missing Years) I'm going to have to start budgeting for movies again.

4 comments:

ThatGreenyFlower said...

I have never heard of Sweeny Todd but your level of excitement makes me think it is promising! The cast certainly makes me excited.

Christine Lavin = Hilarious. How is it that they play her on the radio in Orwell, OH? I haven't heard her on the radio in a decade or more.

Ok, I have to admit that I'm a huge Grendel fan. I really like John Gardner. But...Angelina as Grendel? Grendel was a DUDE!!

Steve Buchheit said...

Greeny, well the radio was on WKSU and they play folk music and have Christine Lavin on often. It was through them that I heard the hilarious song, "Harrison Ford" and we went to her concert about a decade ago actually. It was there we first heard Susan Werner, and we've gone to several of her concerts as well.

I saw the preview for Beowulf when we went to see the last HP film, and it was my impression that A. Jolie plays an important role, and while I think they were tyring to play her as some naga or water spirit in a cave, I could only think it was Grendel. But yeah, Grendel was a he, a child of Cain and/or Lilith. But I don't think the movie conforms to the story at all. Beowulf had a pretty big sword. Not as big as the SciFi move Beowulf, but still larger that the tech would have allowed at the time.

And I would check out some of the lyrics for Sweeny Todd before going. It's not exactly a nice story, and while I'll probably go see it, I don't recommend it for everybody. Depending on how they handle it it could be a very gorey slasher flick (with music). On stage the Kent Players did a great technical job showing how he slit the throats of his customers and then sent them down the chute to become Miss Lovett's Meat Pies. Not exactly a movie for the whole family. Sweeny Todd is one of those stories mothers in England scare their kids with (as in, down wander around at night or the Todd will get you).

Anonymous said...

O.M.G I TOTALLY LOVED THIS MOVIE IT WAS STRANGE AND ODD BUT THATS WHAT MADE IT SUCH A GREAT MOVIE AND I KNOW THAT AS SOON AS THE D.V.D COVES OUT I WILL HAVE IT WHEATHER MOMMY AND DADDY WANT TO BUY IT FOR ME OR NOT I WILL HAVE IT A.S.A.P

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Anon, well it's a good thing then that the release date is only a month away. You'll probably be seeing a whole lot of info about it as the Paramount People pay hardly anything to legions of kids to post blog announcements and generate a viral buzz, probably only for Paramount Bucks. They might also all type in capital letters. And then after working twenty hours a week for four weeks posting on blogs annoying the regulars and hosts, they'll have earned enough to purchase a Paramount baseball cap.