I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, August 30, 2007

News

I got some good news this morning about one of my submissions. It isn't an acceptance, yet, and the odds are still stacked against it, but those odds are now 1 in 3 on making it through (as compared to 1 in 100+). And I wrote up a whole post about how psyched it made me. Really, me, natural high. I'm smiling. That doesn't happen often.

But then I thought, would I be violating some unspoken rule about not posting about such things. So I'm conflicted now. I'd really like to go up to the rooftops and shout it out, but I don't want to sink my chances and put me in that 2 out of 3 group.

Some writers read this blog, what's your take on good news that's not an acceptance but is greater than a rejection? Do you post it, thanking the editors, tell them how much they made your day? Or do you remain cool until you get that accepted/rejected letter? Do you think I'd violate some confidentiality rule by saying anything? Would I adjust the odds of the universe's rolling dice by saying something good?

As you know (Bobsies), I'm not shy about sharing the rejections here. What about the semi-good news?

And, yes, I'm positively bursting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's your blog, do what you want. Personally, I'd post it. You don't get much good news in this business until you start selling.

Let all us Slushers know what it feels like to get close!

Unknown said...

I would post it, but constantly question if the gods are going to punish me for doing it. Personally I think this is your blog which is just an extension of your thoughts. If that is what you are thinking about then type away. Shout from the rooftops and jumps and skip and burn a village (or maybe that last one is just me), but celebrate. Good news is good news and there is no such thing as small good news.

Jim Wright said...

Oooh shiny.

Post it. No question. Spit in the eye destiny. Revel in your moment of joy - and sleep with one eye open.

Anonymous said...

those odds are now 1 in 3

I'm guessing Andromeda Spaceways. Anyone else gonna guess?

Anyway, you TOTALLY get to celebrate getting out of the slush. There aren't many highs in this business, and you should celebrate the ones you do get to the hilt.

Camille Alexa said...

Merrie, I totally saw ASIM from a mile off.

Steve, if it makes you feel you've got company, I'll publicly state I just had a piece put on ASIM hold, too.

Congrats, whatever happens. Definitely count it as a win.

Steve Buchheit said...

That's the one. As Jim says, Sometimes you gotta spit in the eye of destiny.

Thanks everybody for the support to post.