I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Lurker Mode, Activate!

(that should be said in the same voice as "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate!")

Here I am announcing what's basically been going on for a month now, I'm going more into lurker mode. There's so many great blogs to read, I barely have enough time to read them all in my RSS feeds folder. So, rest assured I'm still reading all your great posts, and as much as I'd like to respond to each one, I just don't have the time. At work things are going totally bonkers, and I don't have much time to keep up there (there are many 3 minute lags waiting for apps to load, or plates to come out, that I was able to read and comment on blogs, those opportunities have been shrinking). Even with trying to make up time at home (which I should be writing during that time) I haven't been able to keep up. And I need to get more time into writing. There's this book that's going stale and I must get it all out before it completely goes.

Heck, on Making Light I've hardly posted three comments this past December, and that's where I got into posting comments. I've been very absent on the Whatever (and have intentionally stayed away from the E just because of the time needed to go through all that). As I'm sure you've all seen on your own blogs that my comment frequency has been dropping off.

As you've also seen I've gone from posting thrice a day, to maybe one every other day. It's not been fun for me. There's been great conversations I've wanted to be a part of (the party gadfly or resident lunatic that I am), but by the time I get into thread, and am able to post my comment, the conversation has wondered to far away from the topic. Sigh.

I've been dropping many of the blogs that I used to just read, and there's only a few of those I'll be keeping (like Writer Beware and Endicott). So if I've commented on your blog, I'm still reading, I just may not be commenting very often. Tobias might be glad of that. For a long time I've had the highest comment count over there. So most of the military blogs and tech blogs will be going. I might keep some, but not really read their entries (I have hopes that time will open back up soon). All of the writer blogs (fellow writers, editors, agents, advice columns, etc) will be staying.

Now with being on more committees and having more responsibility (which I shirked this past week, and I can't do that for much longer) I'm also feeling the time crunch at home. I've also been wondering why I haven't gotten this damn water heater fixed (yes, it's still there) and it's only because of mental energy. Today I must go measure and choose a contractor to replace it.

The end of all this, is things probably won't be changing much from where I'm at now. I'll still be reading and occasionally commenting, but I'll be lurking more. Posts here will be less than last year at this time (probably maintain and one every day or every other day). I'll still post comments on you all's blogs when I can.

Thanks for understanding.

9 comments:

Ken McConnell said...

I feel your pain Steve, time is getting crazy for me too. I'll miss your posts and your comments. Leave a comment over at my blog when you can.

For some reason my page hits have gone up after the new year. Not sure why. Maybe everyone likes the new theme. LOL

Steve Buchheit said...

Ken, well, it's also the writing. The Jolie Witch thing was excellent. Also, you know, no more scary snowmen on the page. :)

Nathan said...

I just get started posting and you're done commenting? Sheesh!

I've got a contest.

::wink, wink::::wink, wink::

Steve Buchheit said...

Contest?! Damn, I was just about to log off and go read. Okay, as you know I'm a sucker for contests. Going to Nathan's blog now.

Nathan said...

Bwa ha ha ha ha (I never know how many ha's to put in).
Caught you in my evil lair. five more days to go.

Nathan said...

Steve,

I've been seeing quite a few of your comments all over the tubes since you made this announcement. No offense intended, but you're the worst lurker ever. :-)

Steve Buchheit said...

Nathan, yeah, I suck at this lurker business.

Especially since I'm choosing the final water heater, saw this comment appear and said, "I gotta respond..."

So, I'll just say this here, "I never win the jackpot prize in the Mega Millions Lottery."

Now I have to get a ticket.

Jim Wright said...

Well, crap, that's not going to work.

I suggest yo quit your day job, that'll free lot's of time.

Steve Buchheit said...

Hmmm, (said in a dreamy voice) quit the day job.

You know, Jim, not all of us had the luxury to work a cooshy management job and retire early to spin wood in Alaska like some people. :)