I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Opening up the mind of the writer

Joshua Palmatier is doing it again. He writes about having to work something out and the writer's mind.

Been there... although maybe this ties into my comments about Pirates of the Caribbean, At World's End. That some scene existed for the sole purpose of getting one character in position to have a different scene. Hmm, thinking on the fly here. I had a major problem with that, and thought a rewrite to exclude those scenes, or explain them better would have been a better solution.

Not that I think Josh's writing is bad. No, I'm thinking about my own writing here. Do I have scene that's sole purpose is to position characters to have some other dramatic scene? Or are some of my transitions just a weak as those scenes in the movie? Yet another thing to think about as I'm writing.

And why after I say I'm going to be more absent have I posted three times today? That one at least is easy. I'm procrastinating from writing.

No comments: