I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Rest of Photos

Here's the back wall of my office. All those shelves are adjustable, which helps because I go from mass-market paperback to oversized art books. On the right-hand side, those shelves are less deep to allow the closet door to open properly, and the selves are perfect for paperbacks. I still have some books in boxes (and I need to finish arranging the books).



Then you have the Xmas Decorations at night. First, we're looking back from the mailbox (blue lights) with the Snowman and his drunken brothers, the deer, star (new!) and a river of ropelights.



Here we are looking out from the house and can see some of my neighbor's display as well.

4 comments:

Ken McConnell said...

You have an office. Nice. I have kids.

Camille Alexa said...

Do you arrange your books alphabetically, by author, by dustjacket color, by genre, by decade of first printing? People like to know these things.

Well...maybe not all people. Just us loopy types.

Jim Wright said...

I'm with Camille, Steve, how do you arrange them? My wife arranges books by characters she likes and subject matter as she determines it, and since we have in the neighborhood of 10K+ books, I can never find a damn thing. Same with the DVD's, she arranges them by actors she likes in accordance with some arcane methodology only she understands. I'd like them to be alphabetical, but I don't get a vote in the matter. :)

Steve Buchheit said...

Ken, well, my wife uses it mostly for work (as I have my laptop and I'm at the kitchen table to type). But I do keep my books and storage in the office. So we have two bedrooms now. We could still use this room as a bedroom (and are keeping it that way for resale), but on the opposite wall is the computer desk and another assemble yourself bookcase with office supplies in it, also the file cabinet and printer. Third wall with door has the closets (which have a closet system in it), the fourth wall is windows to the front.

Camille, the books are divided into rough sections. The wall against the windows has the National Geographics and old text books, along with my CD archives. Also the religious books (Buddhism, Indian/Coyote mythos, comparative religions and philosophy) are there. The next shelf over contains the art books, non-fiction computer books, some CDs (music) and house papers and village manuals. The next column has some woodworking, old computer, the fiction hard backs, anthologies, and writers manuals/helps. The final column next to the closet has all the paperbacks and some older books.

Order is roughly divided, then by subject matter within those rough categories, with some adjustments by size. Fiction is by genre, name, and sizes. Also, all reference books (my fairy, K. Briggs, etc books) are together. I try and keep all my authors together, but I don't alphebetize them.

Paperbacks are divided by genre, then author.

Jim, yeah, my wife is using the came categorization scheme as yours. Although I think I can get to roughly where I need to be (humor DVDs are together, etc).