I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mixing metaphors like a fox

Well, research can be your friend, a friend that likes to drink and tell lewd stories. Turns out I guessed right in wanting to write "Bladesman" in a harboiled/noir detective style. It has all the traits of one. So I have some of the books on CD, and I'm looking for more. I hear Elmore Leonard is supposed to be good, so if anybody has any recommendations I'm listening.

I'm getting books by Raymond Chandler, Mickey Spillane (having trouble finding those) and Dashiell Hammett (if there are books I "just gotta read" by these or anybody else, let me know). From what I can gather, Raymond Chandler is the guy to study. Much of my research says his writing achieved the pinnacle. I have some of the "original source" material done. As a young man I read my Conan Doyle and Christie, my Poe and much of the rest. Sure, I wasn't reading and dissecting the words and structure, and I've forgotten much, but I think enough lingers like stale cigarette smoke in my mind.

A murder does start the book, however there's really no mystery of who dunnit. The "mystery" part revolves around the "why" they dunnit. There's also the reverse detective story, the "how are they going to catch the murderer" type. And while police are still an option, it's not one that our main character and his cohorts will ever take seriously. So without really meaning to, I've been wrapped in a rug and stuffed in the trunk of the hardboiled detective genre. To be sure, this is also an urban fantasy novel, can't get around that. What else would you call a novel that's near future, dystopian, west coast after the earthquake and a Chinese Invasion, economic collapse and it's aftermath, all with swords and magic anyway. There's a decidedly low-tech grunginess brought about by economics alongside the high tech geegaws and work flow. And there is magic, very limited in who can use it, but very powerful.

So now it remains to be seen if I can keep all these voices separate in my head straight to write the three novels (neo-noir, high fantasy, and contemporary satire). Or there's going to be some weird mix ups.

7 comments:

mattw said...

Steve, have you ever tried The Vampire Files by P.N. Elrod. It's a vampire PI living in 1920s Chicago.

Also, for a mix of satire, sword play, and high tech, check out the first chapter of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. It's a masterpiece.

Steve Buchheit said...

Matt, I'll need to check out Elrod's book. I have read Snow Crash. I think that was a part of the inspiration for this story (simmering in the subconscious all these years). Thanks for the recommendation.

vince said...

Robert Parker's Spenser books are reasonably hard-boiled. And that's quite a mix you have there. I hope you can pull it off - sounds like it would make a great book, or a series.

Anonymous said...

I can't recommend a book to read. But if you want to get in the noir mood, how about renting the Otto Preminger film "Laura" (1944)?

It's much easier to munch on a bowl of popcorn while watching a film.
:-D

Steve Buchheit said...

Vince, Spenser, that was the detective I was also looking for and just couldn't remember the name. I remember watching the TV show. Going to the library catalog now.

Sheila, we may have that one on DVD somewhere. If not I'll keep a lookout on TCM for it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm also struggling to parse the flavour of writing mysteries. I'm at a disadvantage since I didn't read any as a child. I've been reading old EQMMs from the 80s and 90s to catch up.

Steve Buchheit said...

Camille, that would certainly help. It's mostly the heavy plotting that needs to be done, and for a "organic" writer like I am, it's a little daunting. Fortunately this is more fantasy adventure than it is mystery.