I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Just one of those things

Today I had a nearly catastrophic run in at work as I went to get tea. I mean a real run in. As in almost knocked me down the stairs. So, of course you know I'm a math freak, and I started making calculations while I poured on the hot water. And here's what I came up with, and yeah, it stopped me for a minute.

I should also mention that my Social Security statement came yesterday.

If I had an accident right then and was permanently disabled, I would receive more from Social Security in a month than I'm getting now in take-home pay with our 20% pay cut (four day weeks, remember).

So, you know, there was a moment there when I kinda thought it might have been good to have been knocked down the stairs.

Yes, I know, that's gross pay and I'm comparing it to take-home, and 20% less take-home than I normally would get (with a forty-hour week). With my luck I wouldn't be permanently disabled, but would just shatter some other bone. Going through that with my fibula wasn't any fun (but then I also went back to work in two weeks when most people, and my doctor advised me to, stay home for months with that injury, as it was I used up my sick time and more than half my vacation - I had sucky benefits then). It was just a momentary thought.

4 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

Glad you thought better of it. My friend Susan just broke her leg and is Not Enjoying It At All.

However, she was having such problems with the crutches the doctor wrote her a prescription for a knee walker, which is pretty neat looking, and she says is awesome.

But not as awesome as not having a broken leg. Especially when it's snowy and icy.

So glad you didn't suffer a catastrophic injury.

vince said...

When I slipped on an icy road and broke my ankle, I also dislocated it (trust me, it's possible), and the dislocation damaged nerves. This kept me in my apratment for almost four months, because while the ankle bones healed within 7 weeks (with the helkp of an uncomfortable plate that remains), the nerve damage took much longer to heal.

It was not fun, and while disability might be better financially, broken bones and other such damage sucks big time. I'm also glad there wasn't a catastrophic injury.

Jim Wright said...

Don't listen to them, Steve!



What's permanent disfigurement compared to a lifetime of free disability? So you'll be eating through a straw, people pay to be on a liquid diet - you'll be getting a free weight loss program, all the benefits of gym membership without the sweating and spandex. Plus, once you've permanently maimed yourself, the parking is always right up front.

What?

Steve Buchheit said...

Random Michelle, yeah, I broke my leg in January (2002 I think, I'd have to go back and look at this point). So not only was I working in Chardon (the supposed snow capital of Ohio, really it's Thompson), but on the second floor without an elevator. Never want to do that again.

Vince. I hear ya. My fibula required 12 screws, a 9" plate (they were out of 12" plates that day) and an "osmotic" (sp?) screw to hold the fibula, tibia, and the top bone of the ankle together. This was the first year I could wear my normal shoe size (all that time I had to buy a half-size larger for my left foot). Fortunately, in the emergency room the doctor who became my orthopedic surgeon was checking on another patient and the on call grabbed him. If he hadn't the emergency room would have taped me back together with my ankle inches out of position, this on a Friday night, with no surgery possible until Monday. I'll have to find my pictures of the Xrays. I used to use the one with all my hardware in as my icon for a long time.

Jim, well I am trying to lose weight. And I did have one of those tags for a while (which is why I get really upset and people who park in the handicapped zone who aren't). And as you and I know, PT really means "Pain and Torture." I don't want to go through that again.