I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, November 18, 2011

The Great Day in the Morning Conundrum

Anybody have experience with Yuengling Beer? They've just started selling here in NE Ohio. I know the history (oldest brewery, PA people love it, blah blah). I'm just wondering if anybody has had it and what they thought. I almost bought some of their Black and Tan last night. And since I heard a profile last year, I've been wondering what they're like.

But as you all know I'm a notorious cheap-skate. So paying $1 a bottle, with $6 being the minimum investment, is a little steep for me (yes, I'd pay $2 or $3 at a bar to try it, I'm not that cheap, but I don't go to bars anymore, so I guess I am that cheap). If all else fails I'm assuming that I'll be someplace around the holidays that I might get to try it.

Now, to counter the cheap-skate image, normally I do pay $7.50 (Guinness in cans) and $9.00 (Sam Adams Cherry Wheat) for a six-pack. Although that lasts me a year and a half most times. So I'm not a complete cheap-skate.

Just so you know.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

I like Yuengling - the lager. The first place I had it was in MN. It must have been one of the first areas they were expanding to in the early 90's. The thing is, it wasn't positioned as a "craft" beer. It was one of the cheap beers available.

And where I live, a $6 six-pack is still cheap. (Walgreens has a house brand for $2/six-pack, but...yuck.)

Phiala said...

I live in Pennsylvania. I drink Yuengling, both the lager and the porter. Why? Here it's cheap, AND it's the one drinkable beer guaranteed to be on tap in every bar and restaurant I enter. Or at least the ones with licenses: I could rant for a long time on PA's Byzantine archaic alcohol laws.

I do like it, and it's extra-good to have a fallback in a town prone to shitty American beers.

Ah, here's the key bit: when we're entertaining reasonably large groups of people, we get a case of Yuengling lager and a mixed case with something darker in it. So yes, I recommend trying it, and will feed it to my friends.

Random Michelle K said...

Michael loves it.

I don't drink beer.

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Walgreens has a house brand? (*shudder*)

Dr. Phil

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks, everybody. Tonight I was finally able to go to a local restaurant (and there's only a few of those) and they have Yuengling. So I got to try it.

It was the lager, and I wasn't all that impressed. At first the after taste bothered me, but by the end of the bottle I was kind of okay with it. I don't think I'll spend money on any more of it, but it was good enough to make me want to try the Black and Tan. I know they have other lines, but they don't sell many of them here, yet.